Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Parting: December 26

Samantha made it a point to go to visit Bob before his father returned home and back to his life. She felt a connection with Matthew. Though she didn’t realize it yet, she inwardly hoped he could be the father she never had. Romantic thoughts of a little girl swept back into her soul. The little girl that wanted her dad to be her hero, just the thought made her heart feel light. It was such a contrast to a father that daily devastated her dreams.

Bob wasn’t home when she arrived but Matthew invited her in and the two of them sat at the kitchen table. Matthew made it a point to say that friends sit in the living room but family sits in the kitchen. Warm feelings flooded Samantha’s soul. She started to tear up and this surprised the elderly man who thought he said something wrong.

Before he could say anything, Samantha apologized. She said, “I realize you may not understand this but I’ve never felt like I was part of a family so it really makes me happy to think that I could, some day, be a part of this one.”

“I’d be happy to call you my daughter and to hear you call me dad.” He smiled.

After a few more tears, she said with a small laugh, “Ok, dad.”

Jack braced himself for the next few hours. He anticipated it to be an emotional time. He never liked funerals. Ever since he was little and had to go to his grandma’s funeral, he hated them. The only bright spot was the hope of seeing buddies he served with in Afghanistan. What he didn’t anticipate was MIA’s family. Jack had never really been around Hispanics other than MIA and a few of the other’s in his unit.

The Andaluz family was devoutly Catholic. They had 8 children and Miguel was the youngest. All of the siblings and both parents were in attendance as well as several aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was a time of sobbing and hugging for all of them. The Andaluz family instantly embraced Jack and JoJo as one of their own. This in itself made the day easier for both of the young men.

The service itself was long in Jack’s mind and he leaned over to JoJo and murmured that it was taking forever. JoJo mentioned back that that is typical of Catholic funerals. When the service finished and the reception began, MIA’s oldest sister, Marta, pulled Jack to the side and asked him more about the Miguel that Jack knew. She also wanted to know what happened that her baby brother would take his own life.

Jack related little snippets of his life with MIA while they were in the military. He also filled in some things about his wife leaving. As he said these things, his mind wandered to his dream. He told the sister he never had about the semi smashing into the car in front of him. He knew MIA would take a bullet for him. He would do the same for him and JoJo. These men loved each other. They were his brothers.

He went home that night and hugged his mom and cried. Then he did the same to his brother, John. Both of them told him how much they loved him and how much they hurt for him. Jack remembered a time when he was little and he fell and skinned his knee. As his mother bandaged his knee, she said, “I will make the ouchie feel better.” Finally, he said, “Mom, I have an ouchie on my heart and I don’t know how to make it feel better. I don’t think you can make it feel better. I don’t know what to do about it.”

Nancy hugged her boy again. Though her heart broke for him, she was glad he could still speak to her about it. She said, “Would you like to speak to Pastor Bill about it?”

“I suppose I can but I don’t think he would really understand.”

“You may be right but you know he is someone who can empathize. I will call him and set up an appointment.”

Jack agreed. Later, he lay in bed thinking of the Andaluz family. He knew they were hurting from their loss. Still, he saw them as a breath of fresh air. They were good people.

Why did you have to do it now MIA? Why at Christmas time? Now the season is stained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...