Thursday, June 4, 2015

He is Jealous for Me

One thing I have noticed reading through God’s law to the Israelites is that God was very demanding.  People couldn’t even touch things or go beyond certain points in the tabernacle or they would die.  If someone did certain things against God’s law, the penalty was death.

For every act of sin during the course of someone’s life, something had to die.  Therefore, animals were sacrificed.  The sinner had to lay their hands upon the animal that was to die.  God wanted them to identify with that animal and know the beast was dying so they could live.  I believe the Israelites understood the cost of sin. 

God was swift with judgment too.  There were a few times that if Moses hadn’t intervened, He was ready to wipe out His people.  I think what has made the biggest impression to me is the contrast to life now.  I won’t speak for anyone but me but I believe I am not alone.  I tend to minimize sin and the cost to me, my life, and others around me. I don’t always see the cost so I believe there isn’t one.  Besides, when I sin, I can confess it and God is faithful and just to forgive me and clean me of all unrighteousness.

God is holy.  He cannot abide with sin.  Therefore, there are stiff penalties.  Since mankind couldn’t live up to the standard His very existence requires, in His perfection He made a way by which we could live and be acceptable to Him.  Not only that, He will call us sons and daughters.  He sent His Son to pay the penalty for sin.  Not just your sin and my sin.  He paid for all sin that took place in the past and is taking place now and will take place in the future.    Isaiah 53:5 says

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.

These words have echoed in my mind as I have read God’s commands about sin and how to appease Him.  Reading these verses has driven home to me just how serious sin is to God.  I see that I have been callous.  I have been neglectful regarding my relationship with God and what it cost Him.  He is jealous for me.  For what He has done to buy me, how could He be anything else? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...