Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Parting: Getting Ready to Leave

It was like a magnetic pull. Yet for Jack, it was undeniable. There was something about the Andaluz family that Jack couldn’t get out of his mind. It wasn’t just the fact that Jack found Marta beautiful. The Andaluz’s were wonderful caring people. Why did he have such a strong urge to be with them?

He pondered this thought for a few days. He loved his mom and brother and in spite of the difficulties he had since returning from Afghanistan, he felt they had a good relationship. Still, he could not answer the question. Why did he have an urge to visit MIA’s family?
The next few days, Jack spent time with JoJo and, though he didn’t mention it right away, he brought up the subject of MIA’s family. JoJo also noticed and commented on the beauty of the Andaluz women. He also felt they were very nice people. Finally, Jack brought up the topic of visiting them. JoJo was silent for a moment. Then he said with a smile, “You know I think you’re a dumbass, right? I don’t know what you are talking about but if you think you need to spend some time with them, maybe that is what you need to do.”

“But how would I explain this to my mom, to them?”

“Just tell it the way it is. Your mom may not understand but I think she’d be ok with it. The issue is MIA’s family. I don’t know about how they will react to you wanting to visit them. Do you even have a phone number or a way to contact someone?”

“When I spoke with Marta for a few minutes, she gave me her phone number and for her parents.”

“Well, there ya go.”

“Yeah.”

Jack started to ask if JoJo he thought Jack should tell Charlotte he was leaving. Then he decided what was the point? He ended the relationship so why even see her?

Later that night, Jack called the Andaluz family. MIA’s mom, Maria, answer the phone. Jack gave his name and after a moment of silence from Maria, said he was a friend of Miguel. Then Maria remembered her son’s friend that she recently met. The two of them exchanged pleasantries when Jack decided he had to just get it out. He said, “Would it be ok if I came to visit you and your family next week for a few days?” There was a distinct feeling of confusion from Maria but she said, “Yes, by all means. Come on up.”

The hard part of the equation was out of the way. Now he had to tell his mother. Nancy took the news with concern and confusion. She said, “You know I love you and support you. I do not understand but if you feel you need to spend with MIA’s family and they are ok with it, then go.” Then almost as an afterthought she said, “You know where your home is.”

“Yes, mom, I do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...