Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Who is This God?

One of my goals for 2014 was to read through the bible. One of my goals in doing this is to figure out just who is this God that I serve?  I reread about when Jacob and his family went to Egypt for food.  They later learned Joseph was already there, but God used that for the purpose of creating a nation for Himself.  Then after many years of slavery, when the nation grew, God’s nation was ready to learn who He was.  He demonstrated His awesome power through the plagues and then the Egyptians gave gold to the Hebrews when they left.  How about that?

I found it interesting the specific ways God wanted the ark, tabernacle, and other things constructed.  Is there some parallel to how He created the universe?  Not that I can tell but that thought came to my mind for some reason. 

Since I have been working on my own family history, I didn’t just scan over the genealogies that were listed.  I am seeing the importance of knowing your lineage.  I also appreciate details that are noted.  For instance, in Genesis Jacob gave land to Joseph.  It is mentioned again in the book of John as a side note when Jesus meets the Samaritan woman. 

Meanwhile, I have been casually studying the heavens and learning more about the unfathomable scope of the night sky.  I have learned about the tremendous pressures within our sun and other stars and how these immense pressures have the power to create some of the elements found in the periodic table.  I cannot comprehend the forces at work or the sizes and distances of the cosmos.  Yet, as I understand from the bible, God created them all.  Therefore, he must be even more vast and more powerful. 

Like much of science, we may get questions answered when we seek them out.  However, in that process we are presented with more questions.  Can we ever know all there is to know about an infinite God?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...