Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Ecuador Observances

 

My wife and I visited Ecuador for ten days. Every location has its own idiosyncrasies. Here are some I noted:

1.  When using public bathrooms, expect to make a payment before you leave your deposit. Normally, you will pay 15 cents to go number one and 25 cents for number 2. Also, some places you pay for toilet paper and it is only a few squares. Therefore, take some with you or snag some napkins before you leave restaurants  

2.  Men’s urinals are often open to view of all. Well, I don’t mean EVERYTHING is open to the public. I either had a small partition or small wall to block things but often you could stand behind me and watch the process from there. 


3.  The opposite sex was the bathroom money collector/attendant. My wife and I never understood that. Why not had the lady work with the women and the man with the men?


4.  Public busses try very hard to be on schedule.  They must have to prove it too.  Twice we took busses on long trips. 

There is a person at the door who collected bus fare. Also, at certain stops along the way the attendant would jump out of the bus as the driver slowed down. They ran with a time card and had it stamped in a time clock and ran back to the bus. If no customers were boarding, the driver already had the bus moving again before the attendant jumped through the door. 


5.  Bus drivers and tour guides text while driving. 


6.  Good prices are great. It was common to see bananas and mandarins sell at 20 for $1.00.  We often bought breakfast and lunch for $2.50 to $3.50 per person respectively. The price included filling meals, coffee/tea, and fresh fruit juices.  


7.  When walking the streets of Quito, watch your step. There are a lot of dogs roaming the streets and they leave their droppings everywhere. We didn’t do it but we saw many turds that were stepped on.


I will add more when I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...