Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Parting: The Bridge Stands



It was a couple weeks later and Charlotte had contacted the local college.  They had a Journalism degree.  Charlotte applied and was accepted.  Her grades from high school weren’t that good so she didn’t qualify for any scholarships but she could get the Pell Grant and a couple other grants.  Of course, she was offered student loans but was leery of them since she had heard horror stories of people having problems paying them off when they finished college. 


She was grateful the chiropractor was willing to work with her schedule.  She felt guilty about the whole thing.  To Charlotte, it seemed she announced she was leaving.  While it would happen in a few years, she kept telling herself that she couldn’t expect to stay there forever in spite of the great work atmosphere.  She really didn’t want to leave that.  Still, the more she thought of Mr. Engle’s words of encouragement, the more she determined in her heart that she would make something of herself.  She would make him proud.  Also, in a small, back corner of her heart, she wanted it to be revenge for Jack leaving her.  She would become successful. 


With that part of her life set up, she felt the need to speak to someone.  She picked up her cell phone and dialed.  She heard a faint “Hello” on the phone and realized it must be a bad connection.  Charlotte spoke loudly, “Nancy?  Can you hear me?” 


A little clearer and louder, Nancy replied, “I can hear you fine.  Can you hear me?” 


“Yes, I can I hear you fine now.  When you answered, it sounded like you were on the other side of world.  How are you?”


“I am doing just fine, dear, how are you?”


Charlotte noted she said “Dear.”  She had never called her ‘dear” before.  “Fine, thank you.  I just wanted to touch base with you and find out what is going on with you and tell you that I am going to start college classes in the fall.”


“That’s great!  I’m so proud of you.  What are you going to study?”


“Journalism.  I want to write things that inspire people.” 


“I know you can and will.” 


“How is John?  Have you heard from Jack?”  Charlotte felt funny asking about Jack but even though he ended the relationship, she still cared about him as a person and knew Jack was Nancy’s son.  Of course, Jack was still important to her. 


“John has Senioritis real bad.  He is counting down the days until he is ‘outta that stupid place’ as he says.  He plans to go to the local college for now but doesn’t know what his major will be.  I don’t know what is going on with Jack.  I expected him home a couple month’s ago.  He doesn’t tell me what he is doing.  When he does bother to call, he says he is still with the Andaluz’s so I guess and hope he is in good hands.  Well, I hope so and I hope he is telling me the truth.  I just don’t understand why he is staying there so long.  I really feel he has overstayed his welcome.  I’m a little embarrassed.  Needless to say, I am concerned.” 


“That does seem odd.  I hope he is ok.”


“It makes me happy to know you still care about him.”


“Love doesn’t completely die.” 


Nancy pondered this statement for a moment in silence.  Her mind flashed to an old high school boy friend.  The two of them were very close but they graduated, went their separate ways and the relationship ended.  He had come to her mind several times in the last few months and she wondered what happened to him.  Would she see him at the upcoming class reunion? 


“I suppose you are right.”


The two spoke for a few more minutes about local news and other items in their lives and ended the call.  Both of them were happy they could still talk without the broken relationship with Jack interfering.  Without saying it to each other, they each resolved to stay in touch throughout their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...