Saturday, June 6, 2015

Just Know You Are Loved

I called my dad yesterday to wish him a Happy Birthday.  We talked about various things including the trip he and mom took with us recently.  Nevertheless, every time I speak with dad on the phone he ends the conversation by saying, “Just know you are loved.”

Today I considered that statement for a few moments.  Many people spend their lives trying to find love.  When I think of the love my siblings and I received and continue to receive, we are rich.  I am sort of a odd person when it comes to affection.  I act like I don’t want it or need it but I know that I do.  I want to be noticed and appreciated.  A compliment will charge my batteries for a long time. 

I believe it important to tell those you care for how you feel.  I try to let those around me they are appreciated though I probably need to do a better job with my immediate family.  Nevertheless, since it means so much to me, I make an effort to hug my family each day when I leave for work. 

Letting someone know you love them can be as simple as saying, “I love you.”  Maybe you need to do the dishes or laundry without being asked.  If you live in a wintery part of the world, how would your loved one react to you warming up the car and scraping the windows?  Love is not a passive verb.  Love does not take.  Love gives. 

Let the people you love know it.  Give of yourself.  Make sure they know you love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...