Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Parting: A Smoldering Ember Sparks

Charlotte smiled at the elderly gentleman that flirted with her.  Mr. Engle had been coming to the chiropractor for many years.  Though he was nearly 80, he looked like he was in his 60s.  Shortly after she started working in the front office for the chiropractor, Mr. Engle came in for an adjustment.  When Charlotte got his chart and glanced at it, she was surprised to see he was much older than he looked. 

After a couple more chiropractic visits, Charlotte asked him how he stays so young and fit.  He gave her a wink and answered, “I chase younger women.”  Ever since that day, Charlotte enjoyed the times Mr. Engle came in.  He kidded with everyone in the office, even the chiropractor.  Once, when he was getting an adjustment, he yelled loud enough for people in the waiting room to hear, “Ouch, you’re killing me.  Help!  Someone call 9-1-1.” 

When Mr. Engle stopped by the desk before leaving, he asked Charlotte, “So, beautiful, when are you and me gonna go out?”  She laughed and said, “I’ve told you before that my mom told me to watch out for men like you.  I always do what my mom says.  I’m a good girl.” 

Then Mr. Engle got serious for a moment.  He looked deep into her eyes and said, “What are you doing here?  Why do you work here?  I could see you doing much bigger things than this.” 

Charlotte was slight taken aback but replied, “I gotta pay the bills, you know.  Besides, I’m happy working here.  Dr. Pratt is good to me and the staff.”

“I understand that but I can see you doing much more than this.  You are such a nice young lady and you must have some smarts to be able to keep this place humming along the way it does. Promise me something.”

“What?”

“Go get a good education or whatever you need to do to move onto something bigger and better.  Either that or run away with me.” 

Charlotte let out a laugh.  “Ok I will.”

“You’ll run away with me?”

“No, you know what I mean.”

Mr. Engle’s words touched a nerve within Charlotte.  That night, his words repeated themselves in her mind.  “I could see you doing much bigger things than this.”  Dormant dreams she had as a little girl started to return to surface.  She saw moments of greatness, adoration.  She saw herself accepting awards.  She wanted to be a journalist.  She had always dreamed of publishing columns in a newspaper or magazine.  She wanted lives to be changed by her insights and wit. 

Then reality returned and she remembered she had no money to pay for college classes.  Then again, she thought, you don’t need money to write a column.  You just need to write.  Still, she realized a college degree would go a long way toward that goal.  She decided that since she promised Mr. Engle, she would get information from the community college.  At minimum, she could get basic classes out of the way even if they didn’t offer a journalism degree. 

Charlotte faintly remembered dreaming about sitting at a lap top and typing away, creating a Pulitzer prize winner.  Then Mr. Engle came up behind her and patted her on the shoulder.  She turned to see him smiling at her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...