Sunday, June 7, 2015

Teton Oasis 1200 Hydration Backpack: A Review

I originally bought the Oasis 1200 due to plans to hike Mt. Elbert later this year. I wanted to be sure I had plenty of water for the climb.  After reviewing several hydration backpacks, I decided to go with the Oasis 1200.  I have a link to the Teton Sports website for this backpack here. 

Here are the features I like:

Ample space in the various pockets
Built in whistle in the chest buckle
Zippered mesh waist pouches
A large pouch, which Teton says can hold a bike helmet
A 3 liter bladder
The tie down straps keep the backpack very slim
Attached rain fly

I used the backpack during land excursions for a cruise I recently took with my family.  Since we were in Central America and the Caribbean, I wanted easy access to my water.  Also, I held water bottles for my family along with passports, wallets, sunglasses and other things they couldn’t live without for a few hours. 
I am used to a bigger backpack and at first was concerned it could hold everything.  In spite of how slim it looks, it held everything without issue.  With a 3 liter bladder full of water plus 3 other bottles and previously noted items, I’m sure the pack weighed 20 to 25  lbs at the start of our excursions.  I made sure all the straps were tight which made the pack appear streamline.  It seemed very minimal to me.
As noted above, it has an attached rain fly in the bottom which easily covers the entire surface of the pack.  Well, the outside is covered when you are wearing it.  I did need it for a few minutes when we rode a tender from the ship to the port in Grand Cayman.  We didn’t get very wet on the tender itself since it was covered but for about 200 yards after we reached the dock there was no cover.  I know I felt smug as I walked with our items safe and dry.  I didn’t see anyone who had cover for their backpack.

I don’t want this to be all positive since I have never believed a review is worthwhile unless there is a criticism.  My biggest concern is with the bladder itself.  An invisible hole somehow appeared the 4th time I filled the bladder for use.  It happened on the day it rained.  I was unaware of the leak until I noticed the bottom of the pack was wet.   Since I used the rain fly and didn’t place the pack onto anything wet, I was certain it was the bladder and hoped the problem was simply that I didn’t properly close the refill opening.  I located the hole due to a bead of water that appeared near the hose leading out of the bladder each time I wiped it away.  The hole is in the bladder itself and not on the seam where the hose attaches.   I know there were no items in the pack that could have punctured the bladder.  Also, the bladder has its own compartment.  I am in the process of trying to get it replaced by Teton Sports and will update with the manner in which they handle this concern. One other criticism is the handle at the top of the pack.  It is small and, if you have a heavy pack, feels like it is cutting into your fingers.  Perhaps a thicker handle or a piece of leather wrapped around it would help.

I recommend the Teton Sports Oasis 1200 Hydration Backpack.  I feel it is good for day hikers, bikers or anyone who needs a versatile, slim profile backpack.  I believe it is a good value at the $54.99 listed by Teton Sports. 


#tetonsports

 

http://www.tetonsports.com/Backpacks/Hydration/Oasis1200.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...