Thursday, June 18, 2015

Memories Make Us Rich


Many years ago when our oldest son was in Scouts, we went camping.  It was our first time camping and most memorable.  We had a new tent and I am glad it held up.  We endured a terrible thunderstorm that night.  We hunkered down and waited for it to pass.  I remember lying there and hearing the raindrops beat against the side of the tent.  I could feel water, like a mist, falling onto my face.  Dan asked if we should pack up and leave.  We had heard other families do that.  I told him we would stay.  We would remember this night the rest of our lives.  We still talk about that night.

Earlier this year, my brother and I hiked in the Appalachians.  Our last night, we were on top of a mountain and the wind blew terribly all night as we tried to sleep in our hammocks.  I’m not exaggerating when I say the gusts had to have been 40 mph.  I know it rained a little and am grateful it wasn’t a lot.  Still, I will remember that night the rest of my life.

Have you ever noticed normal events in life quickly fade from memory?  Your normal routine flies by without notice and is quickly forgotten.  It is the things that are outlandish that stick with us.  To make memories, we must do something different.  It doesn’t have to be something crazy, just something different.  Summer is upon us.  Let’s make memories with the ones we love.  Go camping, cruising, parasailing, snorkeling or diving.  Do something that is out of the norm for you.  Make memories.  Memories make us rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...