Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XV

Two weeks later, Boulos had his own place to live.  It was a small apartment in an office building where a Christian organization rented office space.  They had no need for the apartment since the missionaries, Charles and Rana, got their own place four blocks away following the recent birth of their son.

Once living quarters were established, a Catholic group provided items to furnish the apartment.  Not to be outdone, local mosques began lending assistance in various ways.  On the day Boulos moved in, representatives from each group was on hand to assist in setting up the apartment and getting him settled.  It was chaotic with many bodies moving about and Boulos felt overwhelmed by the noises and newness of it all. 
Finally, one imam spoke up and said, “My brothers, it is good we could all come together to help our friend, Boulos.  We all felt Allah wanted us to do something to help him.  All of us, Muslims, Hindus, Christians overcame our differences to do what we knew in our hearts was right.  I am proud of the good we have done.” 
As the imam spoke, Boulos tried to calm his nerves by focusing on his new surroundings.  He heard the echo of the imam’s voice off the walls and tile floor.  He also heard a humming noise above him and felt the slightest breeze on his skin.  He believed it was a ceiling fan.  All the attention given him was unnerving.  Normally, he was ignored.  When he was noticed, he often received harsh treatment.  Now it seemed everyone wanted to give something to him.
Boulos couldn’t help but wonder if the ones now helping him were doing it to show off their own piety.  While he was grateful to have a home, he feared the many groups represented in the apartment would one day be the cause of him losing the very thing they were now giving. 
He then felt a hand touch his shoulder and a voice whispered into his ear, “Hello, my friend.  It is Daiwik.  I am pleased you will finally have a home.  Don’t worry, my friend.  We will all leave and give you peace soon enough.”  Boulos smiled at his friend’s kindness when Daiwik continued, “Once everyone leaves, I have a gift for you.”
About an hour later, the majority left.  Charles and Rana advised Boulos and Daiwik they would leave the office for the day and left Boulos and Daiwik alone.  Daiwik considered the bewildered young man next to him and said, “Yes, my friend, it is much for you to take in.  Here, this is what I promised you.”  Daiwik placed it into Boulos’s outstretched hand.
Boules felt the smooth glass and aluminum surfaces of the rectangular object and asked, “What is it?”
“It is an iPad.  You have heard of it?”
“Yes, I’ve heard of an iPad before but you know I can’t see.  How am I supposed to use it?”
“I realize there may be some limitations but do you feel a button sized indentation toward the bottom in the center.”  Boulos found it.  “Good, now press and hold it for a moment.”  Boulos did so and heard two beeps and a female voice that said, “Sorry, I missed that.”
“Very good, my friend.  Now, press the button and after the beeps ask what time it is.”  Boulos did so and the voice responded with the time.  Daiwik could sense Boulos was still skeptical. He prompted Boulos again.  “Now push the button and ask to send a text message to Daiwik.”  Boulos did so.  The voice asked, “What would you like to say to Daiwik?”  Daiwik replied, “You can text me anytime.”  The voice confirmed the message and asked to send it.  Then it was sent. 
Boulos next heard a chiming sound and Daiwik retrieved something.  Boulos believed Daiwik was using his phone when he felt the iPad in his hands vibrate and heard a barking noise come from it.  Boulos laughed.  Daiwik said, “My apologies my friend.  It was my daughter’s iPad but she gave it to my dear wife when she married but Madhura doesn’t use it.  Now it belongs to you.  We can change the sounds if you like.”
Laughing, Boulos said, “No, no I like dogs.  I like the barking dog.“
“Very well, my friend.  You can ask for it to read your text messages.  That way, we can communicate if you need something.  I will leave you to your new home.  The gods continue smiling on you, my friend.  You have a home, food in the kitchen and things to cook it with.  Now we must find a wife for you, yes?”  They both laughed and Daiwik exited. 
Boulos felt the smooth surfaces of the iPad in his hands, rubbing his fingers back and forth along the edges.  He pressed the button and asked to send a message to Amal.  The reply was, “I don’t understand ‘A mall.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...