Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part X


Daiwik led Boulos by the arm down the street to his home.  As usual, he greeted acquaintances along the way.  For the briefest of moments, Boulos hesitated about going with the stranger who offered him a chance to bathe.  He had lived on the streets before and few people were trustworthy.  Who would offer their own home to a blind man who hadn’t washed in nearly three weeks? 
There was something about the spirit of Daiwik that led Boulos to trust him.  The man exuded kindness.  He also looked forward to being clean again.  If he could get clean clothes as Daiwik suggested, his day would be complete.  Daiwik interrupted Boulos’s thoughts, “We are nearly there, my friend.  My wife has the facilities ready for you.  You will have plenty of hot water and you may relax as you clean yourself.  We have towels to dry yourself and a robe to wear while we determine what clothes will fit you.”

“Your kindness is overwhelming.  I can never repay you.”
“There is no repayment needed, my friend.  For me, to do this is the right thing to do.”

“I only hope I can do something nice for you some day.”
Daiwik called to his wife when he opened the door to his apartment.  ”Madhura, I have Mr. Boulos with me.  All is ready for him?”

Stepping from the bathroom and toward her husband and Boulos, Madhura said, “Yes, all is ready.”  Then she appraised the blind man before her.  She felt the urge to extend her hand in a greeting but remembered he wouldn’t see it.  Instead, Daiwik said, “Madhura, my dear wife, this is Boulos.  Boulos, this is my sweetheart, Madhura.” 
Boulos extended his hand, “It is a pleasure to meet you.  Thank you very much for your kindness to me today.”

“It is our pleasure to serve you.”  She eyed Boulos again and said to her husband, “Yes, I believe Dilip’s clothes will fit him.”
“Yes, that is what I thought.  Come with me, my friend.  The bath is this way.”

Daiwik took the time to allow Boulos to touch and feel where everything was in the bath.  Then he said with a laugh and smile, “I trust you know what you are doing from here.”
Boulos smiled, “Yes, I can handle everything myself.”

“Very well, my friend.  You take your time and enjoy your bath.  Now I will get clothes for you.  My dear Madhura, is preparing a wonderful dinner for us and we will eat later.” 
As Boulos let water run and felt the temperature, emotions swept over him.  The kindness of this couple deeply moved him.  The years of living with his uncle were joy to his heart.  His heart broke the day his uncle died and again the day he left for the city.  Circumstances were such Boulos knew he would never have peace with his family. 

He contemplated the hardness of his heart and tough exterior when living on the streets as a child.  He felt he would need to call on that toughness again.  Little did he know how quickly it would be needed.  When he was robbed and beaten at the bus station, a great fear overcame him.  With shouts of laughter, the young men left him bleeding and afraid but he was not broken.  A deep, familiar anger rose in him.  Perhaps it was the fire that kept him going as a boy.  In spite of the troubles that accompanied him as a young man, he was determined to keep moving forward.  He wouldn’t let life beat him. 
Still, walls are regularly breached.  Daiwik climbed Boulos’s wall and poured balm on his wounded spirit.  The dryness his heart felt was soothed by these acts of kindness.  Boulos wept bitterly, mixing tears with bathwater.  He was pleased the running water drowned out his cries.  The love of his life, Amal, also got passed his wall.  He gave his heart to her.  He loved her.  He never stopped loving her.  Perhaps it was love that actually moved him forward.

There was relief in Boulos’s heart when the water was shut off.  Though he guarded against the thought, Boulos couldn’t help but think his life was about to change for the good.  What that could possibly be, he had no idea. 
In her kitchen two floors above the bathing Boulos, Amal was preparing supper while helping her children with their school work.  She remembered she was nearly out of an herb needed for the evening meal.  She decided to visit Madhura to see if her herb garden had what she needed. 

Boulos heard the front door open and then muted female voices in the next room as he dried himself and put on the robe.  He could understand little of the conversation due to the soft voices of the ladies.  He decided to wait until the visitor left before exiting the wash room.
Back in her kitchen with her herbs, Amal could barely contain herself.  Madhura stated the blind man was in the house bathing.  How could it be so her Ali was in the same building?  Even as children, Ali had never been in the building where she lived.  Now he was so close.  Her heart ached to see Ali.  Her heart burned to be in his arms.  Could it ever happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...