Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A New Story: Uncommon Ground


Bob and Marsha agreed to meet for dinner at a favorite restaurant.  Bob arrived first and got a table.  After he was seated, the waitress came and asked for their drink orders.  Bob knew what Marsha normally wanted.  Had this taken place a few days ago, he would have ordered her drink and thought nothing of it.  Things were different now.  If he ordered for her, would Marsha think him presumptuous?

Suddenly, the whole dinner and meeting seemed more difficult than he ever imagined.  It was only a few days ago he walked out on Marsha.  Then the next day, he took all the money.  The talk with his brother made him realize his errors but now it all seemed to be crashing down on him.  More than ever, he was hopeful Marsha genuinely wanted reconciliation. 

When he saw Marsha enter the restaurant, he stood and waved to her.  He felt his heart begin to pound.  He laughed to himself his heart did that when they were young and in love.  Marsha saw him and started walking to the table.  He tried to read her face for a sign of her mood or intentions.  Nothing registered. 
As she was reaching the table, Bob was unsure how to greet her.  More and more, he felt like an ass for his actions.  His gut reaction was to kiss her as he always did but that seemed wrong now.  Instead, he remained standing when she arrived and pulled out the chair for her.  He quietly said, “Hello Marsha.  You look good tonight.”

“Thank ya darlin’.  So do you.”

There was a moment of silence as each fought to find a way to break the ice.  Finally, Bob blurted, “I’ve been an ass.”  He continued speaking but Marsha had to interject, “Yes, ya have.”

“I know and I’m sorry.  I don’t know what happened.  Something inside me just snapped.  It was bad enough I walked out but to take all the money like that.  God, what a stupid, bone headed thing to do.  I can’t apologize enough.  Will you ever forgive me?”

Marsha looked at him for a moment saying nothing.  She was still hurt and angry over the whole incident.  She began by saying, “Ya stabbed me in the back you bastard.  I didn’t’ think anyone would ever hurt me the way you did and you think you can apologize and everything will be ok?”

Bob hoped for common ground and an equal standing with Marsha but again felt he was on the defensive.  He stammered, “Well, no, no.  I don’t think that at all.  For now, I am admitting I was wrong and asking for forgiveness.  I’m not saying things will be easy but am I the only one who thinks we’ve been goin’ through the motions the last couple years?” 

“Ok, fine.  I agree we have just been roommates since the kids moved out but, dammit, how could you do what you did?”

Bob’s defenses were rapidly going up but he didn’t want to make a scene in the restaurant.  He was happy they were in a public place or who knew what would happen?  He remained silent and stealthily looked around to see if anyone suspected the conversation happening in their part of the restaurant. 

Marsha spoke in sharp but even tones.  “You screwed yourself this time mister.  I am going to crucify you.  Do you hear me?  I am going to crucify you.  You left that house like a madman screaming at the top of your lungs that you were leaving.  That was bad enough.  Then you took all the money.  Do you have any idea what that did?  That was the most stressful day of my life and you added to it with compound interest.”
Bob looked downcast and replied, “I truly am sorry, Marsha.  I really am and if I could go back and change it, I would.  What can I do now to make it better?”

“You can go to hell, that’s what you can do." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...