Sunday, January 22, 2017

A New Story: She Smiled to Herself

Brian loved his brother and he loved Marsha.  With Marsha on the other side of his phone call, he wondered if he would have to choose sides.  Marsha said, “Brian, as you probably know, Bob left.  He just left and cleaned out the bank account.”

“What?  Wow!”

“Now don’t give me that, darlin’.  I know Bob tells you everything.  I wouldn’t doubt if he is standing next to you right now.”  Brian was happy his brother wasn’t.  Marsha continued, “I need you to give him a message for me, will ya?”

“Ok, yeah, sure.”  Brian anticipated a tirade of posturing and threats.  He planned on giving his brother one simple message:  “You’re screwed.”

The tone of Marsha’s voice was what first caught his attention.  Instead of anger, defiance and determination, he heard regret and reconciliation.  “Will ya tell him I’m sorry?  I know I haven’t been a good wife to him.  I do love him and would like to work things out if he is willing.  Can ya tell him that for me?”

Brian was stunned to silence.  Marsha said, “Brian?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll tell him.”  Then he added, “Who are you and what have you done with my sister-in-law?”

“Don’t be a jackass, Brian.”

“I know, I’m sorry but you gotta admit, this isn’t normal for you.”

“Well, you just proved to me I’m not the person I should be.  I’m turning over a new leaf.”

“I’ll be sure to tell Bob that too.”

“Now don’t promise anything.  Lord knows I won’t be able to change overnight but I want to take the first steps.”

“Marsha, I gotta admit, I’m surprised.  It makes me happy but I’m surprised.  I hope things work out.”

“Thanks darlin’.  Me too. Thank you.”  Then she disconnected the call and smiled to herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...