Monday, January 9, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XI

Throughout the evening meal, Amal was distracted.  Her love was mere feet from her arms.  The thought boggled her mind.  Everything within her screamed to go and see him.  She could see herself rising from the table and leaving their home without a word.  She would go to Daiwik’s apartment and knock on the door.  Once the door opened, she would say, “I’d like to see your visitor.”
Would Ali recognize her voice?  Probably not.  She go to his side and say, “Ali, it is me, Amal.”  Surely, he would remember.  He had to remember the love they shared before her father had her marry another. 
“Amal, what is the matter with you?”  Her husband interrupted her daydream. 
“What?”
“What’s the matter?  You sit there picking at your food and the children and I speak to you and your ignore us.”
“Oh, I’m sorry.  I went to Madhura earlier to get some herbs and…”  She stopped herself.  She nearly blurted out Ali was there.  They would question who Ali was.  Then she’d be forced to explain she knew him before.  She simply could not do that. 
Her husband prompted, “And?”
The wheels of her mind churned.  What should she say?  She continued, “And the blind man was there.”
“In their apartment?  Why was he there?”
“Madhura said Daiwik had him come there to bathe.”
“Why would he do that?”
“I don’t know.  I didn’t ask.  He was being kind.  He is a kind man, you know that.”
“I know he is a strange man.  Who is so nice all the time?”
Amal ignored the remark though it made her angry.  While she was silent, Adeline, the youngest child, spoke up.  “May I go see the blind man?”  Then the other two children expressed their interest in seeing him also.  Amal winched.  Ali was not an animal at the zoo.  He was a man with a tender heart who had lived a hard life.  He deserved dignity. 
Amal’s husband spoke, “Sure, why don’t you go see the blind man.  Your mother will take you.”  Amal glared at her plate for a moment.  Could she see Ali and not be moved?  How could she help but not reveal everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...