Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XIII


Two weeks later, Boulos continued to receive regular meals and he rotated bathing at different shelters.  It was clear at this point he would be able to move into a room in a building run by a Christian organization in eight more days.  Also, a Muslim businessman had Boulos help his son sell his wares in a local market. 

Nerves filled Boulos each morning he walked to work but they were less and less each day.  Daily there were stops and starts but Boulos was getting used to a new routine.  For the first time since living with his uncle, Boulos felt purpose in his life.  There was the faintest of glimmers he may actually live and not merely survive. 

Around midday, Daiwik arrived to offer a hot bath and meal after work.  Boulos was happy to accept the offer.  Daiwik promised to return at the end of the day and assist to his house.  Like the last time, the bath was grand and Madhura made a wonderful meal.  As they began the meal, the phone rang.  There was a problem in one of the apartments and Daiwik needed to correct the issue.  After, completing the call, Daiwik said, “I am sorry my friend but I must attend to business.  It should not be long but as you know, I care for this lovely building and sometimes it takes me away for a while.”

“No, no that's fine.  Should I…”

“One moment please, my friend.  I must make a call.”  Boulos then heard him say, “Hello my friend.  I hope you are well.  Yes, I am thank you very much.  May I trouble you to come down and be with my lovely wife for a few minutes while I attend to business in the building?  Thank you very much.”

Then he said to Madhura, “Amal will come be with you, my dear, while I am gone.”

Madhura smiled.  “Thank you.  We can discuss our herb gardens.” 

Amal.  Boulos heard the name and he was briefly transported to a young girl who once held his heart.  Actually, she still held it.  After all the years, simply thinking the name was a pleasant moment. 

Shortly, there was a knock on the door and Daiwik opened it and after a brief greeting, he was gone.  Madhura closed the door.  Then he heard Madhura say, “I arranged for a problem to arise for my husband to fix.  He will not be gone long.  Let me introduce you to Boulos.  Amal, this is Boulos and Boulos, this is Amal.”

Boulos stood and extended his hand.  “It is nice to meet you.”

There was silence in the room and he sensed no movement toward him.  He also sensed emotion but could not understand it.  Then he heard a voice say, “Ali?”  He hadn’t heard that name in too many years.  Something about the voice spoke to him on a level words cannot explain. 

He thought it was the voice of an angel calling him home.  He waited to see the light of heaven but when it didn’t appear he believed it was his mind playing tricks.  Again, her heard, “Ali, is that you?  It’s me Amal.”

His mind raced.  Amal!  Amal? Amal!  It was an angel.  He called out, “Amal?  Amal, is that really you?  My Amal?”

“Yes, my dear sweet Ali.  It is me.”  She took hold of his hand that was out searching for her.  She kissed the callouses on his hand.  It was sheer joy.  It was a sweet balm to his dry soul. 

Excitement rushed through him. “Oh Amal, my Amal.  Let me see you.”  With that, she let him feel her face.  Tingles followed his fingers as Ali felt her nose and eyes.  Then he traced her cheeks, eyebrows and lips.  Amal closed her eyes and was transported to the last time Ali looked at her in this way.  At the time he said his vision was like having a cloth over his head.  He could only see light and shadow.

Finally, Ali said, “Oh my dear Amal.  I’ve missed you so.  You’ve gotten fat.”  Amal playfully hit him on the shoulder like when they were young.  Ali continued as he smiled, “Your life is good, yes?” 

“I am blessed my Ali.  My husband provides for my three children and me.  I have missed you.  Where have you been?”

Boulos explained he had gone to his uncle when Amal married and was about to continue when Madhura interrupted, “Quickly, my husband will return soon.” 

Amal hastened to say to Ali, “Tell no one else of our friendship, please.” 

“I would shout it from the mountains for nothing makes me happier than knowing you but if you wish it my Amal, I will take it to my grave.”

With that, Daiwik returned.  He said laughingly, “I am back my lovely wife and dear friends.  It was a false alarm.  Amal, my friend, thank you for being with my dear wife.  And you met our friend Boulos?”

“Yes, I did meet him.  It was a pleasure.”

When Boulos heard Amal leave the room, he willed his spirit to hers.  He told her of his undying love for her.  With every fiber of his being he wanted her to know how much it hurt to leave when she married but he saw no other way.  Oh would she hear him?  He could never interfere with her happiness.  He wanted her to have the life he could never give.  Though it broke his heart, he loved her enough to let her go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...