Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part IX


The next morning Daiwik arose early.  He had much to complete that day but was determined to visit Boulos and bring him some food.  He dreaded giving him the news that he may need to stay on the street longer than he hoped.  Still, Daiwik believed it necessary to be and open so Boulos knew what to expect.

After eating a filling breakfast prepared by his wife, Daiwik began minor repairs on the corner of the building’s second floor.  This work could be done quietly and not disturb the tenants.  He would return later in the day when this work had dried and he would paint his patchwork. 

As usual, he happily greeted people when he saw them but his mind was preoccupied with seeing Boulos.  Once he finished the patchwork, he went to his workshop, stored his tools and filler compound to their places.  After washing his hands, Daiwik went out the door to see Boulos.  He was only a few steps from the door when he remembered the food he was to bring with him.  Pivoting on his left foot, he returned to his apartment and Madhura stood smiling at the door with the food in her hand.  Daiwik smiled, kissed his spouse on the cheek and took the bag from her hand. 

While walking, he debated with himself.  Should he simply say food would be provided or specify how long it would be provided?  He didn’t want to lie but he also didn’t want to dash the poor man’s hopes.  Daiwik turned the corner and started up the street to the spot where Boulos sat the previous day.  Boulos was sitting down as Daiwik approached.  “Boulos, my friend, it is Daiwik.  How are you my friend?”

“Hello, Daiwik.  I am good.  How are you, dear sir?”

“The gods smile on us, my friend.”  Boulos heard the tone of his voice turn serious.  “I have important information.  We met last night to discuss how we can best help you.  Unfortunately, finding a home for you is harder than we expected.”

Daiwik saw the hope drain from Boulos and he continued, “No, no, no, my friend.  All is not lost.  It merely means it will not happen as quickly as we first believed.”  Sadness still filled Boulos’s face.  Daiwik continued, “The gods still smile on you my friend.  They are simply testing you.  I still have good news.”

“What is it?”

“Friends and I will provide food for you two times per day and I have brought you breakfast my loving wife prepared.”

With that, he guided the bag of food into the hands that had begun searching for it.  Boulos asked, “How long will you provide food?”

Daiwik’s enthusiasm deflated momentarily but he chose to have faith.  He replied, “For now, we promise it for one month.  Then we will trust the gods to show us what the next step is.”

A thought came to Daiwik and he asked, “How long since you last bathed my friend?”

There was a pause and Boulos thought for a moment.  Then he replied, “I believe it has been 18 days.”

“If it pleases you, I will bring you to my home where you may bathe in privacy.  Also, my children are all grown but I have some of their clothes in my home.  I believe there will be clothes to fit you.”

“It would be nice to clean up.”

“Very well then.  Let me finish work I must do and I will come back.  You will stay here until then, yes?”

“Yes, yes I will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...