Monday, January 2, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part VII


Boulos sat on the sidewalk in the same spot as the previous day.  He believed he looked west since the sun hit him in the face yesterday as the day passed.  For now, he was close to food places and, with the number of people around, believed he was safe from those who might cause him harm.  He listened to the surroundings.
He noticed the languages and accents of people on the street.  He also noted the footfalls on the road and sidewalk as well as vehicles passing by.  Busses seemed to produce a lot of exhaust.  Merchants were opening stores and he heard at least three people sweeping.  The sound of birds chirping to his left turned his head.  The birds were in a high place and he then heard the leaves in the Mediterranean breeze. 

Boulos was never happy with his blindness.  He simply accepted it since he was powerless to change his lot in life.  Still, one benefit Boulos liked was how his ears could feel distance to solid objects like walls.  When he stepped closer, he could feel something like atmospheric pressure pushing his ears.  The greater the pressure, the nearer the object.  Boulos knew his impairment increased the love he felt for his surroundings.  Every sound was a melody.  Every noise was harmony. 
He found beauty in noticing the environment around him.  There was much to appreciate and it was only after his vision began fading did he notice beauty in the world.  As the sun dropped closer to the horizon, he envisioned sunsets Amal had once described to him.  When he was certain the sun was about to kiss the sea, he kissed the light goodbye in hopes Amal might also be watching.  Perhaps, in those moments, she would feel his love for her.  He understood it was a silly, childish thing but it was one of the few pleasures of his life. 

The sound of approaching steps returned Boulos to the present.  He was about to hold out his hand when the one who approached gently touched his shoulder and said, “Boulos my friend, how are you today?  It is Daiwik.  Did you sleep well?”
“I had some shelter last night and did sleep.  Thank you.  Bless you again for the food yesterday.  May God richly bless you.”

“The gods smile on me and they are smiling on you too, my friend.  We are exploring options of how to help you and give you clean and safe shelter.  I do not know when this will be but it will happen I promise you.  Even if I must take you into my own house, you will not live on the streets much longer.”
Boulos stared at the unseen face that said such magical words.  No thought would form in his mouth.  Finally a smile came to his face and tears began to spill from his eyes.  Daiwik continued, “Yes, my friend, the gods smile on you.  Have you eaten today?”

“No, nothing.”
“The food I gave you yesterday was good?”

“Yes, it was, thank you.”
“I will get your more.”

Then Boulos heard the man walk away.  The gods smiled on him?  Yes, God smiled on him.  Boulos cared not one’s belief in a deity or deities.  If a God or gods helped him, he would gratefully accept the assistance.  His world had held so much darkness in the whole of his existence.  The only bright spots were Amal and the few years with his uncle.  Brokenness and sadness were his only constant companions.  Sad friends they were but the only ones that stayed with him.  Would these acquaintances finally leave him for good?
Boulos heard Daiwik speak to him again as he returned.  My apologies, my friend.  McDonalds is not yet ready to serve and I must finish a purchase for the building I tend.  When I return from my purchase, I will bring you the food I promised.  Now, before I forget, can you come to this spot every day so I may find you and give you news of the care we hope to provide?”

“Yes, yes I will come here every day.”
“Very good, my friend.  I will see you soon.”

The remainder of the day was a pleasant dream.  Every sound was a joy.  Every odor was sweet.  Even the smell of a passing garbage truck was sweet.  Daiwik was laughing when he returned with a bag of food.  “Boulos, my friend, I bring you a Happy Meal.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...