Friday, January 6, 2017

Atlanta Snow

Southeastern USA is getting freezing rain and then snow.  Ah snow!  That beautiful precipitation that transforms the landscape.  The world seems new and bright. 

For those of you who don’t know, if you live in the Atlanta area, whenever a snowflake is forecast, you are required to proceed to the nearest gas station and fill up all of your vehicles.  Don’t forget to bring the gas can too.  Then you must go to the grocery store and buy everything you can to provide food for you and your loved ones for the next few months.  Think I’m kidding?  Google pictures of grocery stores during winter storms in Atlanta. 

Years ago, I worked an extra job at our local grocery in the produce section.  Let me state here I grew up in Illinois.  In spite of the many years I have lived in southern climates, I don’t mind driving in snow at all.  When I first heard about people cleaning out stores for a snowflake, I thought it was all greatly exaggerated.  I went into work that night all prepared to work some produce.  I was blown away to see how empty the place was.  There was no produce for me to stock.  It was already out but it was gone.  A lady came in and freaked out on me that we had no cabbage.  She kept going on and on.  “How can you be out of cabbage?”  Maybe she grew up in desperate times and cabbage was the food that got them through.

What gets me more than anything is the simple fact that even if we get four inches of snow, it will be gone tomorrow or the day after.  Stocking up like it is the end of the world is crazy.  You won’t starve if you get to the store too late.  Too many people in this area can afford to starve a couple days. 


I love to watch it snow.  There is nothing like watching the flakes drift through the rays of street lamps.  To me, there is something magical about watching snow fall.  There is a peacefulness about it.  It makes such a beautiful landscape.  The world seems clean and new. 


A few years ago, we got about four inches of snow.  For here, it was quite a bit.  You may have heard of Atlanta’s snowmaggedon.  People were stuck on the highways for many hours.  Crazy!  My youngest daughter and I walked around the neighborhood that night and I reminisced about my love of snow since childhood.  We walked for about an hour and we both loved it.  Thinking back to that night, I am reminded that there is a noise when it snows.  There is an almost imperceptible, high pitched sound.  I presume it is the sound snow makes when it hits something. 


Meanwhile, it has started raining and freezing rain is due to arrive soon.  If you are flying through Atlanta today, plan on cancellations around 2:00 PM with more to come.  My wish for today is that everyone can get the last box, can, frozen/fresh item from the store.  May you be able to fill up your gas tank.  God bless!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...