Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Recent Thoughts


My grandma died about a couple years ago.  She would have turned 99 that year.  She grew up during the depression and, like many who lived through then, needing to plan for the future seemed to be in the back of her mind.  She often stockpiled groceries.  She regularly had a garden and canned or froze her own produce. 

People from my generation and after don’t understand that mentality.  For the whole of our lives, we have had excess.  The only needs we have are our desires for the latest thing.  We don’t know what it means to not have a job or to go hungry.  Please know that I realize there are poor and homeless people in the US.  I am speaking about the majority. 

Even for people who have rooms for their cars (garages) that are bigger than shacks that house whole families in some countries, there are things that come up that bring us back to reality.  I have a friend who has had health problems for a several years now.  Let me also note here that I don’t consider her to be someone who feels she deserves anything in life.  Well, not in a demanding sort of way.  Yet it seems all of us who regularly have things tend to think you deserve them after a while. Still, she recently learned of another health issue that has her scared.  It breaks my heart to know that more has been added to what she has already endured. 

Why do some people seem to continue to receive the best when others get the short end of the stick?  Why do the poor in places like Haiti, the Philippines and India get devastated?  They had nothing to begin with and now even that is taken from them. 

I believe in a God that is sovereign and is not surprised by events in this world.  I trust Him and things like this motivate me to do something.  There is little I can do for my friend other than be a friend and pray for her.  To whom much is given, much is expected.  I can donate to help those recently devastated in Nepal and other areas of the world.  Sometimes we need to go ourselves and I am currently considering options to help.  It seems the least I can do. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...