Monday, July 20, 2015

In a Heartbeat

Yesterday, my youngest daughter was involved in a car accident.  I was at work when I received a text message from my wife that read, “Lap was in an accident.”  (We sometimes call her Lap since they are her initials.)  I immediately called to see if she was ok.  Thankfully, she is fine.  There were no injuries to her, her friend or the people in the other car.  Nevertheless, I made me think of how we take things for granted.
 
I was reminded of a story I heard years ago.  A man was out walking and the Lord decided to do something nice and placed a 20 dollar bill along his path.  The man found it and was happy to receive the gift.  He expressed his thanks to heaven and went on his way.  The following day he walked the same path and he was blessed again to find a 20 dollar bill.  This went on for a year.  Every day, he found 20 dollars in the same place on the path. 
 
Then one day, the Lord decided not to give him 20 dollars any more.  When the man went to the spot where the money always waited for him, he was surprised not to find it.  He complained, “Where is my money?”   What was once a gift that caused gratitude became a thing that belonged to him and he demanded.
 
For so many of us, we receive so many blessings we no longer recognize them.  We are at the point where we believe we deserve them.  Yesterday, I was reminded that things can change in a heartbeat.  There are no guarantees in life.  We should not act as if the blessings we receive will continue simply because they always have been there.  We need to acknowledge them and express our gratitude.  We should try to hold on to them.  They are not ours.  They are gifts from heaven. 
 
I am doubly grateful that when I kissed my daughter goodbye when I left for work, she got up and followed me a couple steps to give me a hug.  What a sweetie!
 
Please remember to count your blessings.  Things can change in a heartbeat. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...