Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Parting: The Return

In a way, it felt to Jack like he was returning home from Afghanistan.  He had been away for an extended period of time and, except for the wonderful people with whom he stayed, it was very trying.  In reality, those were the only similarities.  However, in this case, the parallels of the latter were caused by the former. 

When he saw his mother, the feelings were similar to when he got home from deployment.  They embraced warmly.  John hugged him and shed a tear while doing so.  Nancy asked, “How are you?”  He didn’t look as lost as when he left but she had to know how her boy was.  Jack know the question wasn’t merely to pass time or fill space.  She wanted to know where Jack’s heart and soul were.  Were they healed, whole?

“I don’t think I’m out of the woods yet but I’m on the path.”

“That’s my boy.”

Shortly after unpacking, Jack started making calls to the local VA clinic and starting inquiring about psychiatric help.  He also contacted Pastor Bill and asked about counseling.  With that set up, he sat on his bed and looked around his room.  His mom left it mostly untouched in his absence.  There were remembrances of high school, the military, and Charlotte.  He got up from the bed and walked to the dresser that had her picture.  He picked it up and remembered the last time they spoke.  All he remembered from that night was that he ended their relationship. 

He sank back into his bed gazing at the photo.  He felt like crap.  Still, he couldn’t help but think it was the best thing to do.  Looking back, Jack realized he was in no condition to maintain a relationship.  He couldn’t care for himself let alone anyone else.  He did what he had to do.  “Then why do I feel like an idiot, a loser?” He mumbled out loud. 

“What?” asked his brother, John.

“Nothing.  Just talking to myself, I guess.”

“Supper is ready, big brother.”

Jack got up.  “Thanks.  I just realized I missed your graduation.  How was it?”

“It was pretty good but don’t worry about a thing.  You can still donate to my college fund.  I’m accepting large donations.” 

Bob and Charlotte continued seeing each other in the months since Jack left.  Their relationship deepened but both of them kept a hint of distance between them.  Bob was still worried that if he started dating Charlotte, Jack may find out and carry out his threat of bodily harm.  Charlotte simply wanted to focus on her studies.  She didn’t want a boyfriend as a distraction.  Nevertheless, both of them noticeably lit up when they saw each other.  While they weren’t exactly the subject of town gossip, it was believed by most that they would eventually come to a deeper relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...