Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Parting: Bridges: Burning and Building

Due to her break up with Jack and focusing on self improvement, Charlotte didn’t know much about what was going on with her friends.  Therefore, when Samantha called to talk, she was happy to catch up. 

The happiness was short lived.  Charlotte’s blood began to boil when Samantha shared that she broke up with Bob and was going to move.  She probably would have felt a little sad if she was only moving.  Since she specifically told Samantha not to hurt Bob, she was angry that that was the ultimate outcome.  It did not help that Samantha started to talk about the intimate times she shared with Bob and Charlotte not want to hear that Samantha was the victim. 

After the two of them ended their phone call, Charlotte seethed.  “What is wrong with that woman?”  She thought out loud.  “Ok, fine, you do what you want to do but why do you have to hurt people?  You come in like a ton of dynamite and destroy people.  Then you leave.  Burn a bridge and leave.” 

She sighed heavily.  What a tumultuous time the past year and a half had been.  Jack leaves and her heart is broken.  She bonds with Nancy and things seem better.  She gets closer to Bob but just as a friend even though she suspects he wants more.  Jack comes home and that’s when disaster really hits.  Jack breaks up, leaves, and Samantha leaves after continuing her streak of hurting people.  At least, there were positive things.  She felt she will have a continuing relationship with Nancy.  Bob is still a sweetie.  Maybe she should call him and offer her sympathies. 

Bob was surprised to see Charlotte’s name and number show on the screen of his phone.  He couldn’t help but think that a few months ago he would have been thrilled to speak with her.  Now he was just numb from the events of the previous couple weeks.  Even now, it was a chore to answer the phone and go through a phone call.  He hoped he wouldn’t have to get into anything about Samantha. 

The two of them did talk about Samantha since that was the main point of Charlotte’s call.  However, Charlotte did most of the talking.  She shared with Bob that she told Samantha not to hurt him and was truly sorry things didn’t work out. 

They were able to share a bit of what was truly in their hearts.  Charlotte did most of this.  Bob merely related that he was hurt but was sure he would get over it and would be better for it.  Also, that he was happy to have a closer relationship with God again.  Then it occurred to him that in a small way, Charlotte was helping him bear his burden.  This was something that God wanted His children to do and it made him happy that she wanted to do that.  This cast a ray of sunshine in his heart. 

He remembered the day he wanted to tell Charlotte how he felt but Samantha being there ruined it.  At one point when he and Samantha were dating, he wondered if that chance meeting was God’s way of telling him He had someone better than Charlotte.  Suddenly, Bob decided to tell her what he believed he would never say. 

“You remember that day you, Samantha, and I had lunch?”

“Of course.”

“I was going to tell you that I had a huge crush on you.”

There was silence on the other end for a moment.  Finally, Charlotte said, “I don’t want to sound arrogant or anything but I wondered if you were going to say that that day.  I just had a feeling.” 

Since Bob was still a little numb emotionally, he figured, why not say more.  “I am still afraid Jack will kick my butt if I tried to pursue you.” 

“I don’t think that will be a problem.  You know he broke up with me.”

“I heard rumor about that but didn’t know for sure.  Well, I’m too emotional for a girlfriend right now.”  Then he said matter-of-factly, “We’ll need to wait at least a year before we can start dating.” 

“What?”

“You know, people shouldn’t jump from one relationship to another.  You never get to know yourself or improve yourself.  That was supposed to be a joke but I guess I need to give up my job as a comedian.  Sorry.”

“Oh, ok.  No problem and I agree with you that people shouldn’t date for a year after a break up.  Did you know I am going to start college classes?” 

“That’s great.  What are you going to do?”

“I want to be a writer, a journalist.”

“You know, I think you would be a great writer.” 

Charlotte smiled, “Thanks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...