Monday, July 6, 2015

The Parting: Finally an Answer

A couple days later Samantha called Bob at work.  She wanted to know if she could stop by that night.  He was a bit surprised to receive the call but, afterward, realized why she did it.  He knew she wouldn’t discuss their relationship while he was at work.  If it was good news, she could have just told him.  Therefore, he presumed the worst. 

When the doorbell rang that night, Bob braced himself for the inevitable.  He decided he would take it like a man.  He would not cry.  He would not show anything other than genuine care for her.  She would know that she would always have him as a friend and he would not think ill of her.  With that settled, he opened the door. 

The two embraced.  Bob tried to read what the hug said.  It wasn’t overly warm but it wasn’t cold either.  Samantha wasted no time getting to the point.  She was getting back together with her old boyfriend.  Bob felt his heart crumbling in his chest.  Bob said, “Needless to say, I’m not overly thrilled with your decision but I want you to be happy.  Even if that happiness isn’t with me.” 

“I know and that is just one of the things I love about you.”

She went on to say that she would be moving back to her home town.  “More great news.”  Bob thought. 

“You are a special man, Bob.  I really want you to be happy and I have to believe you will find Ms. Right.”  With that, Samantha started for the door.  Bob had to say something but words would not form in his mouth.  He wanted to protest.  He wanted to scream that she was wrong.  It was a mistake.  They were meant to be together.  Instead, he said nothing.  Samantha walked out the door and out of his life for good.  He would never see her again.

Shortly after Samantha left, Bob called his father.  He debated on Facetiming with him but he didn’t want to be seen since he was certain he would cry and didn’t want to be seen crying.  With a tight jaw and quivering lips, Bob explained to his father that Samantha decided to date someone else and she was moving back home.  Matthew could hear the pain in his son’s voice.  It broke his heart.  “I wish I could hug you, son.” He said. 

“I wish I could hug you too.  I’ll be ok, dad.  I serve a big God.” 

As he hung up the phone with his dad, anguish filled Bob’s heart.  Lyrics to the song “What if I Stumble” by DC Talk turned over and over in his mind. 

Father please forgive me for I cannot compose
The fear that lives within me or
the rate at which it grows
If struggle has a purpose on the
narrow road you've carved
Why do I dread my trespasses
Will leave a deadly scar?
What if I stumble?
What if I fall?
What if I lose my step and make fools of us all

Will the love continue when my walk becomes a crawl?

What if I stumble what if I fall?

You never turn in the heat of it all.
What if I stumble, what if I fall?
You are my comfort, and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...