Tuesday, July 21, 2015

One Sent Ahead

Whenever I think of the story of Joseph, I am impressed about how Joseph viewed his brothers selling him into slavery.  He told them that God’s sent him ahead to preserve life.  Gen 45:5  God uniquely positioned Joseph after he was sold into slavery to become the number 2 man in Egypt.  The reason this means something to me now is due to my last job. 

I won’t say I hated my last job but compared to my current job, that would be close.  I originally took the job because others told me it was a good stepping stone for bigger and better things.  Little did I know I would be on that step for nearly 9.5 years.  It wasn’t my preference to be there that long.  I tried to get out.  I bid on some jobs and had some interviews but nothing ever worked out. 

Finally, I resolved in my heart that I would be in that job until I retired or died.  Around this time, I got a new manager.  Let me say here that a good manager can make a stinky job better and a bad manager can make a great job stink.  He was a ex Marine and he expected people to do their job to the best of their ability.  He wasn’t hard nosed.  He was fair and I like him.  I believe we had a healthy respect for each other. 

It is funny that I don’t remember bidding on this job but I got a call from the manager who wanted to set up an interview.  I told my manager about the interview and thought nothing else of it.  I later learned that my manager knew my new manager.  I was in a drought as far as job interviews.  It had been a long time between them.  I believe that connection is how I got the interview. 

My point is that I had to wait until God’s person was in place before I could get the job God wanted me to have.  Maybe I am completely off but I look at my time in that job with less confusion.  I never understood why I was there so long.  Nevertheless, I am so grateful for the process now it is all behind me.  I am also so grateful for my current job.  I’ve been here 6 years and am happy with my job.  (Note: I am looking at the next step.  More on that later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...