Monday, October 27, 2014

Seeking Your Face

I got a message from my sister some time ago that she is praying for me to meet God in some new ways.  She also encouraged me to seek His face.  That is an interesting thought when you consider it.  Why should someone seek anyone's face?

Have you ever had occasion to see someone you thought was attractive?  Many years ago I distinctly remember seeing someone I thought was pretty and she turned to look at me and our eyes met for a brief moment.  It was brief because I looked away the moment our eyes met.  They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul.  I believe that there is a connection between people when they look each other in the eye.  Whenever you are angry with someone you don't want to look them in the eye unless it is to convey your anger.  Why is this?  I think it is because we do not want that connection.  There an intimacy, but not in a sexual way, between people when they maintain that eye contact bond.  So much of our communication is nonverbal and much of that is in our face.

As I seek God's face, what am I looking for?  I think I am looking for that connection but for me it is more than that.  I want to know that there is love in God's eyes.  I want to see approval.  There is one more thing that I think I need.

For those of you that have a dog have you ever noticed that your dog is always watching you?  It has been said that dogs think they are human and cats think they are god.  I don't think it is possible for dogs to become human any more than I think I can become God.  However, should I not strive to emulate the best characteristics of God?  Does He not want me to live a certain way?  Should I not strive to obey His will when He wants the best for me?  Therefore, if I watch Him as my dog watches me, hopefully I can see His face and learn what He wants for me.  I will see His approval and hope to be obedient to his commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...