Friday, October 17, 2014

Communication At It's Best



A few years ago I took a US history class during the summer.  One of the books we used was a collection of letters and diary excerpts from around the late 1800s and early 1900s.  One day the topic of discussion was if, with modern technology, we are better at communicating now or back in the olden days.  Needless to say, the consensus was that it is better now. 

Then we read in the book a letter from a woman writing to a family member.  This was in the early 20th century and she noted that she and some neighbors recently got telephones.  While they enjoyed the convenience of being able to communicate instantly with people, she noticed changes.  If someone was sick, people no longer came to visit the sick person.  This saddened her.  People chose to not extend themselves to make a human connection.  While telephone lines bridged the gaps between them, they also seemed to separate them more. 

How much worse is this gap today?  Please understand that I realize I am no better than the next person.  I have email where I can instantly send pictures, comments, and letters to people anywhere in the world yet most emails I send didn't originate from me.  While I limit forwards, I still forward some.  I have a cell phone that allows me to call anywhere in the world.  However, I often will send a text if the recipient has texting.  Why?  It doesn't require as much of a commitment to text.  Actually talking to someone requires more of me. 
Not to long ago, one of my nephews was in town briefly during a trip to Germany.  At one point, he, my oldest son, and I were all at the kitchen table communicating.  However, it wasn't with each other.  We were all on our laptops chatting with someone else.  I hadn't seen my nephew in months and probably won't again for months.  I hadn't seen my son in weeks and probably won't for more weeks.  Sadly, we all decided to be online.  I even noticed the irony of this but still did nothing.  How often have you been at a restaurant and someone is constantly stopping their conversation to text someone? 

In this day and age we have unprecedented access to information, and we can share it with others.  However, as a society, we are separating ourselves.  We communicate but there often is no real connection.  I don't normally ask for a call to action but I think one is needed here.  If we are going to communicate then make it heart to heart.  Rather than forward an email tell your friend or loved one what is going on in your life and inquire about theirs.  If you are able, Skype or Facetime someone rather than send a text.  Become an active participant in the communication process.  Touch one another and have communication at its best.

#communication #realcommunication

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...