Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What Really Matters

I've been very fortunate in my life.  I consider it a blessing to have grown up in a farming community to hard working parents.  My parents taught us the importance of working hard.  I remember when I was little that my dad worked 2 jobs 7 days a week.  Even still, I am taking stock of my life.

I've been wanting to simply my life for some time and I am slowly getting rid of things that have been cluttering my house.  A few years ago, I was able to visit my sister when she and her husband and son were living in The Netherlands for a few months.  I enjoyed the life they had there.  Many people in the US think we have it all.  Of course, we have much but what is the point of having a big house if you don't use it all?  Also, it costs more to heat/cool a big house.  It takes longer to clean.  If you don't use it all, isn't it a waste?

Have you noticed that a car really just gets you from point A to point B?  Whether it costs $5000 or $50,000, it does the same thing.  I agree that one is probably a lot more comfortable doing it.  One thing I appreciated when I visited my sister in The Netherlands is that most everyone rode a bicycle wherever they were going.  I now wish I lived closer to my job so I could ride my bike to work. 

I'm reading a book that brings up the question of how much a job costs.  Let's say you have a job that pays you $20 per hour.  However, you have to pay for child care at $400 per week and you need to pay for a certain clothes for the job such as scrubs or business dress clothes.  Also, you need to figure in your transportation costs.  After you tally it all up, you may only be making $10 an hour.  What if you took a lower paying job?  It may be worth it if you get paid less but actually keep more. 

I've been going through drawers and closets, cleaning out my life and donating to Goodwill and some people we know that have some needs.  I have so much.  Too much, really.  Let me close with a thought my sister always has in emails she sends.  I want to live life in a manner that outlives it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...