Saturday, August 22, 2015

Driftwood: Part XVII


Silence filled the car as Nick rode with Mark and Pat to the San Jose Juan Santamaria Airport.  Nick was lost in his thoughts when he realized this was the longest the three of them remained silent.  He figured it was because they were tired.  Finally, Pat broke the stillness. 

“Do you have $28.00 for the departure tax?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good!  You have to pay that before you check in.  As soon as you walk into the terminal, turn to the right and go all the way to the end and you’ll see the counters on the right where you pay.”

“Thank you.”

Silence returned to the car.  It was still dark outside but the earliest hints of sunrise were starting to appear.  There was approximately 45 more minutes until they reached the airport.  Then he would go through the doors and the journey to normal life would begin.  The more he thought about it, the more Nick realized that his time in Costa Rica was much more than he hoped but it still wasn’t his life.  Real life was back in Illinois.  He wished he could bring some of Costa Rica back with him and not only what was in his heart. He wanted to package it and show it to his kids in a manner in which they could appreciate it.  Sometimes, words are meaningless to express the heart.

He had to say something to Mark and Pat.  He had to express all that was in his soul but that just wasn’t done by people like him.  Nevertheless, he had to express his gratitude.  He would start simple and small.  His voice croaked as he said, “I can’t tell both of you how much it means to me how you took me under your wing the last few days.”

Both Mark and Pat said in unison, “Don’t mention it.”

“No I mean it.  You both were very kind and hospitable and you helped me get through a rough spot in my life.  I can’t thank you enough.” 

Nick was glad it was still dark since it would be more difficult for Mark to see the tears starting to flow.  Pat reached up and put her hand on Nick’s shoulder and said, “You are a wonderful man and we are so happy to meet you.  You have a place to stay any time you come back.”

“Thank you.”

Mark chimed in, “We mean it.  The next time you come down you stay with us.” 

“Well, whenever you are in Chicago, I have a room for you.  I’ll even get my daughter to cook for you.  If she cooks you’ll stay a while.  If I cook, you probably won’t last the first day.” 

“We could do a summer trip but we aren’t going there when the snowballs are flying.”

“I don’t blame you.”

The rest of the ride was quiet with short conversations on unimportant topics.  Nick noted the road was getting busier and deduced they were nearing the airport.  He wished he could sneak Mark and Pat onto the plane with him.  Then he heard Mark say, “Here we are.”  Nick saw the terminal and a few airplanes.  A lump formed in his throat. 

They pulled up to the curb near one of the entrances and came to a stop.  Mark put the car in Park and shut off the engine.  No one moved for a moment and then, as if on command, each opened a door.  After getting his luggage from the car, Nick stood for a moment looking at his friends.  Pat had tears in her eyes as she stepped forward and hugged him.  “I’m gonna miss you, Nick.” She said.

Then she stepped back and Mark stepped forward with an outstretched hand.  Nick took the hand into his own and shook it.  Then he said, “That’s not quite gonna do it for me.” And he leaned forward and reached his free hand around Mark’s shoulder.  The two of them embraced for a moment.  Nick whispered, “Thank you.  Thank you so much for everything.” 

The two of them parted and Mark said, “Don’t forget, you stay with us when you come back.  You notice I said When and not If.” 

Nick smiled and replied, “Yes, old man I noticed.”  Pat snickered but Mark acted indignant as he said, “Well forget it now.  I’m not gonna put up with people treating me so shabbily.”  Nick smiled and added, “I’m gonna miss you guys.”

Pat said, “The feeling is mutual.”

With that, Nick collected his bags, putting the carry-on on top of the roller and headed for the door waving at them as he walked.  Once the doors opened and he walked through the threshold, he focused his attention forward and on the business of getting home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...