Sunday, August 16, 2015

Driftwood: Part XI


“Unlike Pat here who suddenly and unexpectedly lost Richard, I knew for some time that Laura would die.”

Nick nodded and quietly stated, “Yeah, Gwen got steadily worse so, even though I wouldn’t admit it, you could see it coming.”

“Yeah, same here.  I ignored it.  Laura was first diagnosed with breast cancer after an annual mammogram. We did all the normal things, radiation, chemo and she beat it but it all really took a toll on her body.  Fortunately, she was cancer free for a few years and she was able to build up her strength.  But then she got colon cancer and things went downhill from there.  Toward the end, she was looked like a skeleton with skin pulled over.  She got one of those bags for the waste to come out.  Her bones were brittle.”  Mark’s voice trailed off. 

“I don’t know why I didn’t see it but I just kept thinking that she just needed to get past these hurdles and build up her strength again and we’d be ok.  A few days before she died, they sent her home from the hospital and arranged for hospice to visit.  I didn’t even know what hospice was for.  I thought it was a nurse to come help out.  It wasn’t until one of the hospice people told me she was in final stages of life that reality slapped me in the face.  I was devastated. 

“The lady from hospice came her 2nd to last day and told me what typically happens with people on their last legs like that.  I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.  I can see it now but I couldn’t then.  Laura’s body was shutting down.  It was time for her to go but I wasn’t ready for her to go.  I didn’t want her to go.

“I contacted both of my kids.  My son and his wife got there that day but my daughter couldn’t leave right away and didn’t make it until after she died.  It tears her up to this day that she didn’t get to say goodbye.  We stood around the bed as she breathed her last.  We cried, hugged, and kissed her.  It was the most difficult moment of my life but I am so happy we were there. 

“The lady from hospice went to the funeral and I was very surprised to see her there.  Gwen is her name.  When you told me your wife was named Gwen, something told me I had to tell you about my wife.  Anyway, she said that hospice provides counseling to the bereaved for a year after a loved one dies.  I decided to take them up on it. 

“In talking with the people from hospice, they started telling me stories of people they worked with where the dead visited them.  When Pat first told me her story about Richard, I told her some of the stories hospice shared with me.  Is it the dead checking in?  Are they making sure we are ok or letting us know they are ok?  We don’t know.  Hospice doesn’t know and they deal with this kind of stuff all the time.  But I gotta tell ya, it really drove home to me that there is some sort of life after death. 

“Anyway, the night after Laura died, I’m laying there in the bed where she died however many hours before.  I’m thinking to myself, how can I sleep here in this bed where she died?  I was just exhausted though.  We were up all night and then spent all day making funeral arrangements.  I don’t even remember my daughter arriving.  Just all of a sudden, she was there. 

“So I’m thinking all this stuff and the next thing I know, Laura is standing next to the bed.  I’m looking at her and I’m so happy to see her but then all of a sudden she’s gone.  She didn’t say anything and I didn’t get to say anything to her.  I wish I had said something.  Was it a dream?  Was it real?  I don’t know.  I’d like to think it was real and she really was there with me if only for a second.  Anyway, like I said, I just felt I needed to share this with you.“

Once Mark finished speaking, there was a moment for of silence as Mark’s words sunk into Nick’s heart.  He then told Pat and Mark about the dream he had that previous evening where he and Gwen were on the boat and she floated away.  From the bottom of his heart Nick hoped it was real and Gwen was actually with him. 

By this time Mark pulled into the parking spot at their condo.  Then, in order to lift the mood, Nick asked how the two of them met.  Mark had opened the car door but stole a glance at Pat in the rear view mirror and the two started laughing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...