Monday, August 17, 2015

Driftwood: Part XII


As they walked to the front door, Nick smiled while looking back and forth between the two of them.  What was their story? Pat started by saying they knew each other from church.  She was widowed first and had decided she would not remarry.  Nevertheless, she liked matching people.  At some point after Laura’s death, Pat learned that Mark might be looking around.  Mark had previously received some good advice about not dating for at least a year after Laura died.  He adhered to this counsel and was glad he did. 

Mark continued the story.  “I don’t remember saying it but one Sunday a bunch of us went out to eat after church.  Anyway, someone said I said I was thinking about getting back ‘on the market.’  As soon as Pat heard this, she starts going through her list of available women.” 

Pat interrupted, “No I didn’t set you up right away.  I wanted to make sure you really did want to date again.  Beside, I had to make sure she was a good match.”

Mark continued, “A while later, she asks me if I started dating yet.  I tell her no.  Shoot, I don’t even know where to start.  I didn’t want to do any of that online stuff. Pat sees her opening and says that she likes to play matchmaker and asks if she can make a suggestion.  Now, I’m thinking she means she would recommend a way to for me to find someone to ask out.  Nope!”  Pat starts to laugh.  Nick’s eyes dart from one to the other.  He is on the edge of his seat.  

“Instead, she blurts out a name of someone to ask out and even offered to arrange it with the lady she had in mind.  Now, I’m picking up my jaw from the floor and she’s chattering on about this lady and how great we will be together, blah, blah, blah.  Soon enough, we go on this date and it is during this date I’m starting to realize I have feelings for Pat.” 

A look of astonishment comes onto Nick’s face as silently says, “Ooohhh.”
Mark noted the look on Nick’s face and shook his head.  “It didn’t go as well as Pat had hoped.  It wasn’t a bad date but I couldn’t wait for it to be over.” 

Eventually, he shared with Pat the feelings that he harbored in his heart.  She told him she was flattered but could not reciprocate.  While it hurt him deeply, the rejection only strengthened the resolve in his soul that he wanted to win Pat’s heart.  In a matter of months the two of them spent more time together.  It all culminated in the night the two of them talked about making a life together. 

Pat interjected, “I told him that I wasn’t going to cook for him.  He said that’s okay, I’ll take you out to eat a lot.  He said he liked to watch his ball games on TV.  I said that’s okay, I’ll go shopping.  He doesn’t like shopping anyway.  So there we stood and we started laughing that those last couple pieces of the puzzle were what we needed to iron out in order to finally decide to get married.”  Mark grabbed her hand and the two of them smiled at each other. 

That night as Nick sat in the hotel restaurant, he smiled as he contemplated the day.  He felt the day provided some healing.  For that, he was happy.  He had just a couple days left in Costa Rica.  He wouldn’t say he found himself just yet.  Still, if he were a lost child in the woods, he could hear his rescuers calling his name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...