Saturday, August 22, 2015

Driftwood: Part XVI


Even though Nick had a wake up call from the hotel set up and the alarms set on the room clock and his iPad, he woke several times that night as his mind thought it was time to awaken.  Each time he looked at the clock, he was surprised he had only slept a short time since the last time he looked.  Finally, 30 minutes before it was time to get up, he got out of bed and decided to get going.  He called the front desk to cancel the wake up call and asked them to get the bill ready. 

He took a quick shower to try to clear the cobwebs from his head.  That helped a little.  Then he made a cup of coffee with the coffee pot in his room.  With coffee cup in hand, walked to the front desk to get the bill finalized.  The front desk clerk handed him the itemized bill and Nick read over each line.  He saw no surprises and left it on the credit card.  He advised the clerk he would be leaving shortly and had a ride.  With that done, he started for the last visit he would make during this trip.  He would sit one final time on the driftwood.

After walking through the back gate, Nick stood for a few moments looking at the lights that lined the beach.  He closed his eyes and allowed his ears, nose, and, skin to soak in every sensation they could.  This would be the last time he visited any beach for the foreseeable future.  He wanted to take it all in.  Finally, Nick walked to the driftwood.  Once there, he stood for a moment looking down at it.  In the darkness of the early morning, it looked much like that first night.  He turned to face the ocean and slowly lowered himself down.  He took a sip of coffee and thoughts raced through his mind.  He wasn’t sure what to say.  

He started, “Well my friend, it has been quite a week.  A few days ago, I was a very broken man.  I imagine that if you have feelings, you probably could have identified with my emotions.  I’m sure you were once a proud tree and your roots ran deep into the earth.  How you ended up here I will never know, but I am happy you are here.  Maybe you aren’t.  Maybe you would prefer to be back where you grew up but you helped me through a rough spot in my life.  You helped me see that God has a plan for my life.  Even if it doesn’t guarantee me happiness all the time, I know now there are good things that can come from pain and loss.

“When we allow God to do His work, we can be used for His ultimate plan.  Even if we are tattered and broken, He can make beautiful things of us.  We are unique and there are things God wants to do with us that only we can do.  If they aren’t done, I now believe the world may suffer because of it.  Anyway, I wanted to share that with you.  I’m sure Gwen is in heaven laughing at me now as I talk to you but that’s ok.  I’m sure she is also happy I’m trusting God again.  You take care of yourself.  Maybe I’ll come visit you again.”

Nick looked one last time up the beach to his left and right and took a few more sips of coffee.  He leaned his head back to take the last few drops and noted a bit of grit.  Then placed crumpled the cup, placed both hands on the driftwood and pushed himself up.  He turned around and headed to his room and finished packing.  Ten minutes before Mark and Pat said they would arrive, he looked through the room for the last time.  He searched in each drawer and under the beds and chairs for items he may have misplaced.  Finding nothing, he went to the door.  He set his luggage outside and looked around the room for a moment.  He took it all in one last time and then flipped the light off and shut the door.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...