Sunday, November 30, 2014

Christmas Magic



Like most kids, Christmas was a magical day for me.  Then again, who wouldn’t like a time when you get presents?  I have one Christmas memory that stands out from all others.

In the house where I grew up, there is a basement directly under the living room.  We always set up the Christmas tree in the living room.  One year, my older brother and sister, and I decided to sleep in the basement on Christmas Eve.  It is pitch black when the lights off down there.  At some point during the night my siblings woke me from a deep sleep to say someone was upstairs.  Sure enough, I could hear someone walking around.  Somehow, the darkness seemed to heighten my sense of hearing.  I had left Santa some milk and cookies.  Then I heard the distinctive “click” noises of the cookie jar being opened and closed.  I said incredulously, “Santa’s getting into the cookie jar!”  I was thinking, “What a pig!  He wants more cookies!?!?”  We whispered excitedly to each other and after just a few more minutes, there was silence up above us.

We slowly crept upstairs.  The lights were still lit on the tree and they cast a beautiful glow in the living room.  Lo and behold there were presents waiting for us.  I was completely amazed at how Santa could do it all so quickly.  The Christmas magic was solidified in my soul that day and has stayed with me for many years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...