Sunday, November 23, 2014

Remember Those in Prison



Hebrews 13:3  
Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.

The purpose of this writing is to encourage you to uplift those who are in prison.  I have not been in prison before.  I don’t want to ever be sentenced to prison.  Nevertheless, I have an uncle in a prison in Georgia. 

In several verses in the bible, we are commanded to remember and tend to those in prison.  Scripture does not distinguish between the innocently imprisoned or the guilty.  We are to minister to their needs both physically and spiritually.    

How easy is it for us on the outside to forget about someone on the inside?  There is much I wish to say on this subject but let me simply state this:  If you know someone in prison, contact them ASAP.  The holidays are upon us and it is a lonely time for them.  If you cannot personally visit them, find out the rules of their facility in order to send something to them.  Start small if you need to but start now.  Then begin sending regular correspondence.  Give them something to look forward to.  Give them hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...