Sunday, July 23, 2017

Shorties: Number 14


It was a particularly rough day.  The clock ticked passed 8:30 AM and Dwayne was starting his second cup of coffee.  He had been overweight his whole life and, after much effort, was within five pounds of his weight goal.  More than anything, he wanted a donut with his coffee.
Because of workloads, it was difficult for people in the office, even in close proximity, to converse with one another unless they made a concerted effort to do so.  As a result, Dwayne heard Cindy speak on the phone every day but didn’t know her.  It was at the moment he craved a donut, he heard Sally thank Cindy for bringing in donuts. 

Instantly, a debate raged in Dwayne’s mind.  He was so close to his goal and shouldn’t lose focus.  Still, it is good to give yourself a treat from time to time.  Everyone needs a reward for their hard work.  He didn’t want to get off track.  Then his mind was made up.  Dwayne stood and walked to Cindy and asked if he could have a donut.  He took the last glazed donut since he didn’t want a chocolate one. 
On this day, Dwayne and Cindy began developing a friendship.  They were both surprised they shared the same birthday if only on different years.  Their  bond deepened over many years and it was bittersweet the day Cindy retired.  She had mentored him and been his friend.  Though the friendship wouldn’t dissolve, Dwayne didn’t like the thought of not seeing her every work day. 

Arriving in the office early, Dwayne decorated Cindy’s office.  He had purchased a card and bouquet of flowers.  He wanted her to have a special day.  The party was jovial with smiles, laughter, cake and punch.  The office manager told Cindy should could leave early and receive full pay for her final day.  Dwayne carried Cindy’s box of personal items to her car as she left the office for the last time.
As Dwayne put the box in the trunk, Cindy said, “I have something for you.” 

“No, that’s not how it works.  You don’t give gifts on your special day.”
“I know but you have been a special friend to me.  Do you know what this is?”

She showed Dwayne a printing press letter that was on her keychain.  It had an uppercase letter C on it. 
“It’s a printing press letter.”

“That’s right.  My grandparents owned a printing press and I used to love going there and smelling the ink and paper and just playing around.  Grandpa gave me this when I graduated from high school.  I was the first one in my family to go to college.”
Then Cindy handed a printing press letter with an uppercase D on it.  Dwayne was speechless.  Emotions stirred within him.  “Cindy, I, I.”

“Just take it.  It’s to remember me.”
“I already can’t forget you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...