Friday, July 28, 2017

Shorties: Number 22


I was blessed with parents who enjoy travel.  The first major trip I remember was the summer before entering first grade.  We went as far west as Yellowstone National Park with many stops along the way.
My father had the unique ability to pick the cheapest and dumpiest motels offered.  At the time, I didn’t notice.  It thought it was fun sleeping in a new place. My siblings were more concerned about which bed they would get.  Would they share a bed with me, and get kicked and flopped on all night or on the hide-a-bed by themselves? 

During a stop in Rapid City, South Dakota, it was hot during the day.  All my dad wanted was a hotel room with air conditioning.  There was a unit in the window so he was happy.  At some point during the night, as dad says it, “It was so hot I couldn’t breathe.”  He decided to sit in the car with the AC on in order to cool down.  When he opened the door, a wave of arctic air slapped him in the face.  He shut off the AC unit and opened some windows.  It cooled off quickly. 
The last vacation I took with both siblings, we went east to Washington, DC.  On the way, we spent the night in Cincinnati, Ohio in a high rise Holiday Inn.  This was a very nice hotel.  I don’t know what got into my dad.  Maybe it was because Major League Baseball’s All Star Game was playing that night and he wanted to watch. 

We kids wanted to go to the pool.  My mother said no and we were cooped up in the room getting on each other’s nerves.  My dad was trying to watch the game, and I know we were loud, but my mother fell asleep.  I don’t know why I did it.  Honestly, I don’t but as a result of what I did, my siblings had more respect for me.
I got close to my mom and whispered, “Dummy.”

Mom replied, “Mmm hmm.”
I did this a few times as I found humor in mom agreeing with me calling her a dummy.  Then I called my siblings to observe my actions.  With a little concern it wouldn’t work this time I softly called, “Dummy,”

“Mmm hmmm.”
Right away, my siblings saw an opportunity.  “Ask mom if we can go swimming.”

“Dummy, can we go swimming?”
“Mmmm hmmmm.”

I think we were gone and in the pool in two minutes.  I don’t know how long it took until mom woke up.  Of course, we weren’t there and she asked where we were.  Dad, watching the ball game mumbled something about us going to the pool.  “I told them they can’t go to the pool.”
“They asked you again a little while ago and you said they could.”

I’m sure he was just happy to get rid of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...