Friday, July 21, 2017

Shorties: Number 10

Life crashed after a comedy of errors.  Actually, they weren’t errors.  It was a parade of life moments.  There was a flat tire and then a broken water heater that flooded the lower floor of the house.  They were blows easily absorbed but the cards were stacked higher.  Then an insignificant illness was followed by a small car accident.  These set the balance and fulcrum to the scales.

The coup de gras which crashed the house of cards happened in May.  It was a Monday.  An innocent comment was made.  It was simple conversation between friends.  Similar exchanges happen every moment of every day around the world.  The cause of the crash wasn’t even part of the discussion.  She was in the right place at the right time to overhear.  After hearing, she had to speak loudly.

As she berated, he sat there too stunned to move or reply.  With a face that registered no emotion, he sat, endured and absorbed the barrage.  He heard every word but his mind processed faster than she could spew venom.  As her salvos crashed upon him, he thought, “This is my breaking point.  I really can’t do this anymore.  I won’t survive the year.  I really can’t do this anymore.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...