Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XIX


Charles Rayner was taken aback by the request.  When he earlier offered to contact someone for Boulos, he never imagined the request would be for a childhood love who is now married.  Charles had grown fond of Boulos in the two weeks he had lived in the old apartment.  While he wanted to help, there were other matters to consider.
First and foremost, there was the issue of how to get the information.   Charles knew it would not look good for him to knock on the front door and ask for someone’s personal information.  His wife Rima, whose family was Lebanese, might know a way to make it happen but he still saw that as a tall order. 

Then there was the concern of allowing a man to contact the wife of another man when there once was a romantic relationship.  As a Christian, this did not seem a good idea.  The final thought concerned him most.  That issue was the mere fact if Boulos contacted Amal and her husband found out, he might learn how Boulos got this information.  Even if their intentions were genuine, it would not be good for Christian missionaries to be meddling in the affairs of love.  He and Rima believed in God’s call for them to work in Lebanon.  They could not knowingly damage the work they hoped to accomplish in the name of Jesus. 
Even still, he wanted to help Boulos.  He also felt the need to be completely honest and explained his concerns.  Boulos agreed with Charles about the dangers.  Boulos took in this information and said, “Mr. Charles, thank you for your honesty.  My request puts you in a bad place.  I was not properly thinking and I am sorry.  I want you to know that, while it would make me very happy to speak with Amal whenever I want to, I never intended to break her marriage.”

Charles could feel Boulos wanted to say more.  He prompted, “Ok, but.”
“Mr. Charles, I am embarrassed to say but I miss seeing sunsets.  It is foolish.  I know it is but Amal used to describe them to me when we were young.  I have asked family members and even strangers before to describe them to me.  No one makes me see them like Amal.  She describes sunsets to me like an artist who paints them.  She cared about what she saw and how she described it.  I know this and it warmed my heart.”

Charles sighed.  “I take my vision for granted.  I never considered how a scene like a sunset would be so important but now I guess I can believe it would be.  I don’t know Boulos.  I’m sure you agree I can’t contact Amal directly and I sure can’t go to her husband.” 
“That is true, Mr. Charles.” 

“I honestly planned to keep this between you and me but I don’t think I can help you without enlisting someone else.  I’d like to ask my wife’s opinion.”
“Mrs. Rima is a good woman.  Women know how to get what they want when they really want it.”

Laughing, Charles replied, “Are you sure you haven’t been married before.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...