Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Blind Beggar: Part XVIII


Boulos was surprised he didn’t detect Charles was back in the room.  Perhaps the explosion and shock wave affected his ears.  His ears were ringing.  Charles could sense Boulos was distraught and presumed it was due to the recent events.  He walked to the bed and asked, “Is there something I can do for you?  You are obviously troubled.”
Embarrassed, Boulos replied, “The explosion did scare me.  Stepping on the glass embarrasses me.”
“Why is that?”
“I don’t know.  I feel I should have known.  The whole thing is so unnormal.  My mind is scattered.”
“Who is Amal?  Is there someone I can call to see if she is ok?”
Would a Christian understand the story?  Still, it is a story Boulos shared with no one.  He tried to brush it aside.  “Oh, it’s nothing.”
“Didn’t sound like nothing to me.”
“Really, it is nothing.”
“Boulos, its ok.  You can tell me.  No one else will ever know, not even my wife.”
Something in the tone of his voice told Boulos Charles sincerely cared.  He was trustworthy.  Only genuine trust and care would allow him to tell the story.  “Amal is a girl I knew when I was young.  My parents died and I lived wherever I could for many years.  Much of the time it was on the streets.  Amal and her family befriended me and we fell in love but her father had her marry another man.”
“I’m so sorry.  All of that must have been so hard.  How old were you when your parents died.”
“About 8, I guess.”
“Wow, I’m so sorry.  I can’t even imagine.  Tell me about Amal.”
Boulos considered the request.  Could he properly explain his joy if he ever regained his sight?  For some things, there are no words.  He began, “I was allowed to play with Amal and her family.  There was a separation between us, I knew that.  I mean, I knew I could never enter their home but Amal accepted me right away.  Her siblings and cousins also did soon after.  Amal cared enough to sneak food to me.  I don’t know.  I guess it was her care for me that made me fall in love with her.”
“Love triumphs over all.”
“Yes it does.  Because of her care for me, I’ve always tried to care for others.  I lived with my uncle for some years and I tried to care for him as Amal did for me.  It seemed the best way I could honor her love.”
Charles marveled at the thought and said, “You know, you’d make a good Christian.”
“What?” 
“Seriously!  Jesus said we are to love one another as He loved us.  Too many Christians don’t understand that and yet you live it without knowing the command.  I’d rather work with you than all those Christians who only think of themselves.”
Not knowing how to respond, Boulos simply said, “Thank you.”
“Have you ever seen Amal since?”
Boulos again hesitated.  It was one thing to talk of the past.  The present was another matter.  He briefly considered denying his recent contact with Amal.  Then he realized this could be the opportunity he hoped for.  “We briefly met a few weeks ago.  She lives in the same building as Mr. Daiwik.”
Disbelieving, Charles gasped, “What?”
“It is true.  Mrs. Madhura, Mr. Daiwik’s wife, allowed us a brief meeting.”
“After all these years?  That’s crazy.”
“Mr. Charles, I do not lie.  I speak the truth.”
“No, no, I believe you.  It is just incredible.”
“Yes, it is.”  Boulos considered the consequences of the question he wanted to ask.  He proceeded anyway.  “Mr. Charles, can you help me get Amal’s phone number or email so I may communicate with her with my iPad?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...