Friday, February 3, 2017

A New Story: More Clouds Than Sun


Marsha continued, “And another thing.  You are a mealy mouthed..”

The waitress approached with a smile and asked, “Are you ready to order?”  Then, seeing humiliation in Bob’s eyes and sensing something wasn’t right, she added, “I can come back if you need more time.”

Bob had lost his appetite and wanted to leave.  Marsha said, “Oh I know what I want darlin’.  Are you ready, Bob?”

He glared at her in disbelief and shook his head.  The waitress took that as her cue to walk away.  Bob began, “What kind of demented person are you?  You go off on me and the moment someone else will see who you really are, you become this sweet, southern belle.  I’m mealy mouthed?  At least I’m not two faced.  All you are is a façade.  You are a whitewashed tomb.  You just TRY to be pretty on the outside but you are death on the inside.”  Marsha started to protest but Bob’s voice rose, “I came here thinking we really had a chance at reconciliation but I see you are only care for yourself and your whole plan was to stab me in the back.  I may have screwed up but you are a screwed up person.”

Bob started to get up from his chair when Marsha reached out her arm and stopped him, “Bob, wait, please.  Please, wait a minute.  I’m sorry.  You leaving hurt me deeply.  Guess I’m acting on that.”  Tears began to well up in her eyes but she fought them as she continued, “I can’t bear the thought of divorce but I don’t see how to get passed this.  I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I honestly can’t stand to be with you but I can’t stand the alternative.”

“I can understand that.”

There was silence between them as they pondered the meaning.  The waitress returned cautiously.  “Is everything ok?  Are you ready to order?”

Her question brought them to the present and Bob suddenly felt hungry.  Perhaps a good meal would help them both.  He would get the meal he normally ordered.  Hearing Bob’s order, Marsha placed hers.  She then looked at Bob and smiled weakly. 

After the waitress left, Marsha softly asked, “Now what do we do?”

“I don’t know but I remember my grandma often saying how she and grandpa used to fight a lot.  He used to say it’s ok to fight as long as you keep talking.  The real problems start when you stop talking.  Maybe that’s why we have real problems now.  We stopped talking a long time ago.”

“I’ve been bugging you to talk to me since we’ve been married.”

“And you never noticed the times I did.”

“What?  You’re crazy!”

“Am I?  I remember many times coming home and telling you about my day.  I’d tell you all these stupid details about crap at the office, just like you always tell me.”  Marsha started to protest the remark but held her tongue.  Bob continued, “Do you have any idea how hard that is for me?  I’d say all the stuff and then you’d start in on your day and never acknowledge what I did.  Telling you about my day is not normal for me.  The only acknowledgement you’ve ever given me is when I didn’t do something or did something wrong.  I got tired of only hearing crap from you so I just stopped talking altogether.  Whatever I did was wrong anyway.” 

Bob could feel anger rise in him as he said this and it caused him to stop.  The two again sat in silence.  When the meals arrived, they ate in silence.  Finally, Marsha said, “I’m sorry.”  Surprised, Bob automatically replied, “Its ok.”

As the couple was leaving, Bob looked at the television above the hostess stand.  The weather forecast was being given.  He looked at it for a minute and smiled.  Then he stopped Marsha and pointed to the TV.  She looked at it and asked, “What?”

“Don’t you see the forecast?  More clouds than sun.  I can identify.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...