Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A Break Does a Body Good

I realize this a boring, rambling post.  Just some things I have to say.  I don’t typically talk specifics about where I work.  I am happy to be employed at Delta.  The airline industry has certainly had its ups and downs.  I’ve been here long enough to see some dark times.  For those who don’t know, my job is directly tied to the operation.  My colleagues and I specifically work to keep flights operating.  If a flight attendant or pilot is late or missing for any reason, I have coworkers who are miracle workers in getting new crew members to the plane.  If you need an airplane, I’m one of the people who will deliver. 

Since August 10th, I’ve had 4 days off from work.  I was fortunate enough to miss the day of and day after the computer outage.  On my Monday, I told my Systems Operations Manager that, now that I was here, things would get better.  That day they somewhat were.  August 11th was a different story.  Sorry, no details but it was the 2nd worst day I’ve had working that particular fleet.  The worst was largely due to things the person before me couldn’t get to and it left a lot for me to catch up. 

I’ve had a 3 day week, 4 day week, 5 day week and 6 day week.  I know, I know.  Some of you feel so terribly bad for me to work 3 and 4 day weeks.  Please know  I work 12 hour days.  Ok, you still aren’t impressed.  Keep in mind, for those who work 8 hour days, when you work 4 of them.  You are halfway through your day.  I’m up to a fourth.  When we work 6 hours, you have 2 left but I’m only half way.  You are walking out the door at 8 but I still have 4 more.  I’ve worked this shift for several years and do like it.  Still, 12 hours is a long day. 

For the last 2 days, I was fortunate to take part in a program where I could meet people from other work areas.  It was the first 2 days of my work week.  Today is my Friday.   I’ve basically worked every airline job you can think of except pilot and flight attendant and mechanic.  It was nice to connect with people who do jobs I used to do.  Things seem much easier in those jobs now.  I met mechanics from Salt Lake City and Seattle, flight attendants from Atlanta and New York City, a Passenger Service Agent from Dallas-Fort Worth, a man who was impeccably dressed from Customer Care. 

Many of the company leaders gave us information about the company.  More than anything, they drove home the point that their philosophy is if they take care of us, we will take care of our customers.  As someone needs positive feedback, it was a breath of fresh air. 

My oldest son flew in last night.  My youngest son turns 22 today.  My parents flew in this morning.  The last 2 days were basically days off (with pay).  Now I’m about to have 4 days off.  This is the 300th post on my blog AND I hit a goal for the total number of visitors since I started the blog.  I won’t say how many.  Some probably get that many in a couple days. Oh yeah, work provided lunch (and a snow cone) and a massage.  They just announced there are leftovers.   I already need a nap. 


Thank you all for reading what I post.  For those who return for more, I have a hug for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...