Thursday, August 18, 2016

Olympics and Running

I ran track and cross country in high school and cross country in college.  I will never say I was one of the best runners in Illinois.  However, I did compete in State meets in high school and won a few track events.  I was the team MVP my sophomore year in college.  Running and racing have been very good to me.  Running taught me discipline and dedication and helped my self-image.  

The summer before my sophomore year in college, I dedicated myself to qualifying for the national meet as an individual.  My college was in the NAIA division and, as a team, we weren’t that strong.  Also, it was hard for us to have the minimum runners to make a team.  If I qualified as an individual, I would be the fourth or fifth person to do it and, I believe, the first who was not a senior. 

That summer was the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. (Yes, I am old.)   I got to watch Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, Joaquim Cruz, Sebastian Coe, Carlos Lopez and Mary Lou Retton (and many others) in their gold standard events.  Every night I would be so pumped up, I HAD to go running.  It may have been midnight but I was running down gravel roads, looking up at the stars and envisioning how I would qualify for nationals.  I would wake a few short hours later and go work in the corn fields or my other job.  I loved it.   

There was a dynamic euphoria about those two weeks.  In my mind, I was watching people who were the embodiment of what I hoped to accomplish.  Then I went out and took the steps, literally and figuratively, I needed to take in order to reach my goal.  At that point in my life, other than being the next wildly famous and successful singer, I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I grew up.  I was beginning to wonder if I had what it took to push to the world class level of running.  As I flew down the road those summer nights, I got a glimpse of that horizon.  

In I Corinthians chapter 9, the apostle Paul speaks of how he buffets his body and makes it his slave.  Olympians understand this phraseology.  Their bodies are toughened in order to handle the rigors of their sport at that level.   Needless to say, I have enjoyed the Rio games.  In particular, I love the track events.  I have an understanding of what it took for them to get there and it always makes me a little sad when the games end. 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...