Wednesday, August 3, 2016

I Found What I Was Looking For


One of the most influential books I've read is John Fischer's True Believers Don't Ask Why.  The opening chapter ends like this.

"Asking puts us back on track with God.  It assumes a need relationship with Him - a hand-to-mouth spiritual existence.  A vulnerable daily dependence.  In a society that rushes to fill every felt need, that steals away the soul of a person and offers to sell it back at a price, we need to rekindle what it means to ask God.

“O God, you are my God. Earnestly will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  Psalm 63:1

“We hear this cry of David, but we know little of this thirst because there is so much around us to drink.  We live in a wet and weary land where there is water everywhere and not a drop to drink for our souls.  We pour so much liquid on our thrist-buds that our everlasting thirst is drowned out by the temporal.  And they sell this bottled water even at Christian counters.

“Ask, Jesus says.  Ask.  It's so simple - like a child.  Ask. And when you receive, keep on asking.  Don't accept a fake fill.  Live in your thirst and you will live in Him.  Open your Hand.  Ask."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...