Thursday, December 17, 2015

Paradise Part 2

The sound of another soul walking between the cubicles brought RB to his present reality.  Who was this guy anyway and how did he get my number? 


When RB took over the job of handling complaints for the company executives, he learned from one of the people whom he replaced names and phone numbers get posted on the internet.  After logging in, he typed his name and company title into a Google search.  There were no new hits.  The only one was someone from Africa who posted a letter received from RB.  It just happened this person in Africa had a magazine and used the letter for one of his articles. 
Africa, RB thought.  Memories of a long, drawn out deal came to mind.  There was a flight cancellation in Dakar, Senegal.  The hotel normally used to house passengers overnight was full.  Unfortunately, no one was happy with the alternate lodging.  There were concerns for passenger safety as well as comfort.  Consequently, a large group of people joined together in a scathing letter about the circumstances of their trip.  They were led by a lawyer.  RB didn’t mind letters from lawyers. 

Typically, they wrote forceful letters and were full of bravado.  RB knew as long as he admitted nothing, he and the company would be fine.  Besides, for all the blustering in the letters from lawyers, they normally didn’t know airline law.  Consequently, most of the things they demanded, they had no legal grounds. 
This deal was different but not due to legal grounds for a lawsuit.  Based on pictures of lodging facilities that were sent in the letter, RB felt there was a grave mishandling.  The more he dug into the circumstances, the more he had concerns for future issues.  What should he do for these people?  How could the company avoid something similar in the future?

A voice called out, “Do I hear you typing away over there RB?” 
“Yes, Sandra, it’s me.  You are here early.  What’s up with that?”

“I had to go home early yesterday since my daughter was sick.  You never really get time off here.  You know that.”

“Too true!  I’m sorry to hear that.  How is your daughter?”

“She is better.  Just a little stomach problem.  I think it she stresses over tests too much.  Some nights she doesn’t sleep.  Sometimes, she cries.  I don’t know what I’m going to do with her.”

“Yeah my youngest is like that.  I just try to calm her.  Sadly, there are some things in life you just can’t protect your kids from.”

RB opened a desk drawer and took out a coffee mug.  Then he walked to Sandra’s desk and leaned against the wall at the opening of her cubicle.  He asked, “You ready for coffee?  I’m going to start some.”

“I will be by the time it’s ready.  I can make it.”

“No, I got it.  I don’t really feel like working right now.  Some idiot left a voice mail that just pisses me off.”

“Really, what happened?”

RB went on to explain the highlights of the voicemail.  Just the thought of having to call the man back caused his stomach to ache.  He hated this part of the job.  There was always negativity tied to his work.  Virtually every letter he handled was negative.  Someone wasn’t happy about something.  There were times he wondered if his company ever did anything right.  He remembered one of the first letters he replied to in class.  The person complained the flight left 5 minutes late.  Of course, no mention was made it still arrived only one minute late. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...