Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Paradise Part 10


September 23, 20XX

 

Dear Dave Patterson,

I want you to know it has taken me a full week to cool off enough to write this letter.  I have been a million miler on your airline for 8 years.  I remember when flying was fun and people took pride in how they looked while traveling.  Now cheap fares have filled planes with bus people.

But that is not why I am writing.  I booked a vacation with my wife to Hawaii.  It was for our anniversary.  We never really had a honeymoon and I promised one to my wife after I retired.  This was to be a dream vacation.  It was a type of dream.  It was a NIGHTMARE!

Three months before the trip was to begin, I got a phone call telling me there was a schedule change and now we would have an 8 hour layover in Los Angeles.  It used to be an hour and a half.  Now it is 8 hours?  The later flight we had no longer operated and that was the only connection.  I was on the phone for 45 minutes with your representative who was no help whatsoever.  Finally, I demanded to speak to a supervisor.  At least this person understood what customer service means.  I talked with her for another hour and a half before we finally worked out a solution.  Even that wasn’t that great but things were looking up.

On the day we flew out, your flight was delayed.  We were boarded in coach since there were no first class seats available during the 2 hour phone call I mentioned before.  They made us sit there on the plane for 40 minutes with no information whatsoever.  Finally, they said they were waiting for a mechanic to come out to the plane but we had to stay on board.  20 minutes later the mechanic gets there.  About 30 minutes after that they say it will be and hour to fix.  We had to stay on the plane the entire time.

With the 2 hour delay, of course we missed our connecting flight to Los Angeles.  When we get off the airplane and go to the gate agent to see what our options are, she tells us our flight hasn’t left yet.  I thought, Wow, they waited for us.  I was wrong.  This plane was broken too.  Don’t you people take care of your airplanes any more?  You were 2 for 2 going but I’m not done yet, am I?

We sat in your airport lounge for 3 hours.  Thank god I maintained that membership.  It was about the only good thing about this trip.  While we sat in the lounge, we looked at all the planes sitting around the airport.  Why couldn’t one of those airplanes been used?  Surely, one of them could have been used and lessened the delay we had.

Finally we get to Honolulu.  Guess what?  No luggage.  You had 3 hours to transfer our luggage to our plane and you couldn’t get that done.  At this point, all we wanted to do was go to sleep.  When you factor in the time difference, we had been up 19 hours.  We were beat but there was no time for sleep yet.  We had to go buy some clothes and toiletries.  My wife had a splitting headache because of all the stress so I had to get some Tylenol for her.  I ended up having to stop at 2 different places to get everything we needed.

The next day, no luggage.  The day after that, nothing.  We had to buy more clothes and no one could tell us where our luggage was.  Finally, on the 3rd day, they miraculously showed up.  They offered to have it delivered but told us it would be some time between 9 and 5.  I get better service from our cable company.  I told them forget it.  I went and got the bags myself. 

The last 4 days of our trip were the type of relaxing trip we wanted.  Then the night before our return, I got a phone call that our flight the next day was delayed.  My wife said oh my god not again.  I couldn’t believe it.  3 for 3. 

I will say that the remainder of our trip wasn’t as bad as the first half.  For that, I am thankful.  But this trip has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I have big doubts about the quality company you once had. 

Let me recap

You changed your schedule which gave us an unworkable flight out.  I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to get something better.  3 out of 4 flights were delayed.  Our luggage was lost for 3 days and then I had to go get it myself.  I think you would agree this is not a very stellar performance. 

As CEO, you need to know about these shortcomings or your company won’t be around for long.  Customers will no put up with that.  As someone who has been in business, I believe you must take care of your customer.  I have thought long and hard about what I think is acceptable compensation for debacle we endured.  Here is what I want:

Full refunds of our tickets
Full reimbursement of expenses because of the lost luggage
Reimbursement of my and my wife’s time for the time on the phone and hours waiting for planes that actually can fly and for our luggage to be returned to us (which I had to get myself)
Vouchers for free first class tickets anywhere you fly to


I believe with the amount of the money I have given you over the years, you will agree we are deserving of this compensation.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

John Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...