Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Paradise Part 13



With a plate full of blueberry pancakes, RB returned to his cube to read his next letter.  After sitting, he leaned his face forward and above the paper plate stacked with 3 syrup drenched pancakes and inhaled.  With eyes closed, he savored for a moment.  If only Matt had some bacon.


After shoving the first forkful into his mouth, Jennifer entered and put her plate of pancakes on the desk and pulled the chair in RB’s office forward so she could sit and eat.  She asked while adjusting her knife and fork,
“How’s your day so far?”



“Pretty good.  How’s the baby?  Any new pics?”


While chewing, Jennifer retrieved the cell phone from her pocket and turned it on.  She moved her fingers around a bit and handed it to RB who smiled and nodded approvingly.  He slide through the pictures for a moment and said, “What a sweetie!  She is adorable.”


“She is something again.  She is only 4 months old but is so alert.  She takes in her surroundings and even seems to understand it.”


“How’s your adjustment coming back to work?”


“Well, I cry every time I drop her off at the day care.  She seems to like it so that helps.  I just feel like I’m working to pay for day care.  God, it is expensive!”


“Yeah, I remember them days.”


“You know, they are starting a lottery pool for this week’s lotto.  You want it?  Over $200 million this week?”


“How much is everyone doing?”


“20 bucks”


“20 bucks? Jeez!  I guess I’m getting cheap in my old age.  Yeah, I’ll do it.  I’d be pissed if you guys won and I was stuck here.  You’d give me money if you won, right?”


“Of course, Greg and I would love to support you, Melissa and the kids.”


“I know sarcasm when I hear it.  What are you going to do with your winnings?”


“Leaving the Bad Place, you can bet your life on that.  I guess the usual, pay off the bills, travel.  Maybe do some volunteer work.  You?”


“Oh I’ve thought about this.  First, I can do early retirement so I’ll take advantage of that.  Once my last day of work is nailed down, I’ll do everything possible to not work until that day.  That’s the easy part.  What I really want to do is stick it to some of the arrogant frequent flyers.  I’ll pick a flight to some place I want to fly.  Let’s say Honolulu.  I will buy every seat in first class.  When they ask me for names for each seat, I’ll tell them there aren’t any but me and my family.  There will be about 20 empty seats up there.  All them frequent flyers waitin' for their upgrade will be mad when they sit in coach and see all them empty seats.  Too bad!  I paid for em.  You can sit your ass in coach!”


“You really need to get outta this place.”


“You got that right.”


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...