Monday, April 27, 2015

The Will Of God Will Not Take You Where the Grace of God Will Not Protect You

A couple years ago one of my kids bought something for our kitchen that reads, “The Will Of God Will Not Take You Where the Grace of God Will Not Protect You.”  I like it and am happy they wanted to help decorate the house and state how we feel about God.  However, in recent months, I’ve had some misgivings about this sentiment. 

First, let me make some qualifying statements.  1. I believe God loves his creation and has its best interest in mind.  2.  I believe that God can work miracles when it comes to protecting His people.  I have experienced this protection myself when on the mission field.  3.  If it is God’s will that no harm come to you, it won’t happen.  Also, if something were to happen, God was not surprised by it and will use it for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Still, I think it is presumptuous to believe that God will always protect us from harm.  To believe that, since God wants me to do something I will be protected, is short sighted.  Also, when stacked against history, it is wrong. 

How many Christians in the armed forces have been wounded, maimed or killed?  What about people called to the mission field?   You can read the bible and see people who do the will of God don’t have a life of ease and prosperity.  Quite often, they pay with their lives.  Foxe’s Book of Martyrs documents people who paid the price for their faith. 

The bottom line needs to be this: God’s purposes are more important than any individual.  He wants the gospel shared with all nations and all people.  I do believe in praying and asking for safety for our loved ones in all things.  I also believe it good to trust God will provide safety, even providential safety.  However, in the times He elects not to provide such a blessing, we must be prepared to say as Job said after Satan gave him his worst, “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Lord, please don’t let me have to say such a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...