Sunday, April 26, 2015

Actions Speak Louder Than Words


I listened to a sermon that wrapped up a series on family.  The message combined two important things to me.  They are the story of Joseph, Israel’s favorite son, and being a legacy to your posterity. 

For those who are unaware, I love history and have been the family historian for many years.  I believe it is important  to share family stories with our children.  When my kids were little, I would tell them stories about my family and even when they were born.  I remember they always laughed when I told them stories about my wife or me.  I’ve always thought it was because they had a hard time believing we were once little like them. 

For me, the story of Joseph has always been moving.  The thought of being sold into slavery and the years he spent in prison seem so terrible.  For some reason, he chose to trust in the God of his fathers.  It wasn’t until today that I learned why his faith was strong. 

For those who may not know the story of Joseph, you can read the story starting in Genesis 37.  He was the child of Jacob’s second and favorite wife, Leah.  His older brothers wanted to kill him but decided to sell him into slavery.  Due to his faithfulness and hard work, he was put in charge of his master’s house.  However, his master’s wife liked him and made advances.  Joseph refused the advances and she accused him of attacking her.  Consequently, Joseph was put in prison.  While in prison, he found favor with the warden.  He later met the cup bearer and baker for pharaoh after they were put in prison.  They both had dreams that Joseph interpreted.  Joseph asked the cup bearer to remember him after the release and restoration that was part of the cup bearer’s dream.  Joseph was forgotten until the pharaoh had a dream 2 years later.   The cup bearer advised pharaoh of the man in prison who interpreted his dream and Joseph was brought to the throne room to hear the dream.  In order to shorten the story, Joseph became the became 2nd in power in Egypt. 

The day came when there was a famine and Joseph’s family came to Egypt to get food.  Joseph saw his brothers bowing before him.  He recognized them but they didn’t recognize him.  If there ever was a time for revenge, it was now.  He was the supreme authority in this case.   Their lives were in his hands.  He could have them executed.  He could refuse to give them food and allow them to starve to death.  Ultimately, he forgave them and they reconciled.  Why was there reconciliation? 

When Jacob, Joseph’s father, returned to his homeland after many year, he was very rich.  However, Jacob swindled his twin brother, Esau, years before and Esau swore vengeance.  Now it was time to pay up.  Jacob couldn’t stay where he was and he couldn’t go home.  In the end, there was reconciliation.  Joseph was a witness to this. 

As parents, our children will remember what we did easier than what we said.  As the pastor said, (I am paraphrasing) Actions speak louder than words and sometimes they will echo into our posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...