Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reality vs Perception

How many times have you watched a movie based on a story from the bible?  As you watched, you criticized various scenes for inaccuracies.   For that matter, I know I have done it when a director took liberties with novels I liked.  My perception was different than someone else’s.  In my mind, my perception was better. 

Reality can be the same as our perception but the truth of the matter is that it could be very different.  Still to each individual, our perception is our reality.  Have you ever heard how elephants are trained?  When they are young, they have a leg chained to something so they cannot move.  Over the years, they believe they cannot move beyond the length of the chain.  Eventually, their owners change the chain to something much weaker.  However, the elephant never tries to escape their bindings.  To them, the bonds are too strong be broken.  That is their perception but in reality, they could easily escape.

For the last few days I’ve been considering things I’ve long held to be true.  I believe there is a God in heaven who loves His creation and sent His Son to redeem a fallen race.  I believe that to be reality.  However, I’ve been wondering what is there in my life that makes me think I’m still chained and not properly viewing the reality of who God is.  What am I missing because of my fallen but redeemed state?  Is there something I have long held as true but, in reality, is a warped perception?  Therefore, I am asking God to point out and change my perceptions so I can see the truth as it is. 

Oh God, You are perfect all Your ways!  Show me my shortcomings and misunderstandings and let me see You in Your true light.  Help me to give up what needs to be discarded and cling to what You deem important. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...