Monday, August 7, 2017

A New Story: Moments Captured in Time


Julie stood to greet her parents and Marcus’s parents but her father held up his hand and mouthed the words, “Just wait.”  Her mind raced.  Could it be?  No.  It can’t be.  Their parents couldn’t be there for this.  Would they?
 
Antonio walked to Marcus and set a covered plate in front of him.  With a flourish, he removed the cover and bowed as he backed away.  On the plate was a golden ring with a large solitaire diamond.  Julie’s heart pounded as excitement and disbelief filled her.  Tears began to well up as she fanned herself with her right hand.  Marcus removed the ring and stood, stepped around the table and reverently kneeled in front of Julie.  She whispered, “Oh my god.  No, oh my god, oh my god.”
 
Marcus began, “It seems like yesterday, I was walking to the break room at work and I saw a lady whose beauty was so stunning, I couldn’t concentrate for the rest of the day.  The day we finally met was one of my happiest.  I’ve never believed in love at first sight.  I thought that was a bunch of crap made up by Hollywood to sell movies.”
There were laughs around the table.  Marcus continued, “But I was smitten when I met Julie.  The more I’ve gotten to know you, the more I realize how fortunate I am.  I can’t believe God allowed us to meet.  I don’t know what I could have done but I am forever grateful.  Julie, would you make me the happiest man on earth and accept this ring to be my wife?”
 
As Marcus said these words, Julie’s eyes darted from Marcus to Antonio, to her mother, who was crying and arm in arm with Marcus’s mother, to both smiling fathers, to the ring.  Such joy filled her.  She didn’t think this level of happiness was possible.  Then she heard, “..be my wife.”  Her eyes locked on Marcus.  His eyes spoke much to her.  She let her eyes speak with him, telling him her answer.  Then she began crying as she said, “Yes, Marcus, yes!”
 
Everyone around the table cheered as kitchen staff exited to join the celebration.  Hugs were exchanged as each woman shed tears.  It was a joyous occasion and each knew it was a moment that would stay with them forever.  Once things began to settle down, Carlo said, “Everyone, please have a seat and enjoy the finest meal you’ve ever had.” 
 
As the party was being seated, Anna walked up to the table with her camera in hand.  Julie held out her hand to show off the engagement ring.  Full of smiles, Anna said as she held up the camera, “I know.  I got it all.”
 
“What?”
 
“I was over there taking pictures of the whole thing.”
 
“Get outta here.”
 
The remaining moments of the night were like a dream.  Anna’s camera was passed around for all to view the moments captured in time.  Laughter, smiles and some tears filled the night.  As things were winding down, Marcus stood.  He said, “I’m happy all of you could be here.  Family, God and country are the most important things in my family.  What better way to have a moment like this than with the ones who mean the most to us.  I’m smart enough to know we have a lot of work to do.  We don’t even have a date picked yet for the wedding.  We will begin writing a new chapter in our lives.  Soon, Julie and I will coauthor our story.  So, a toast to our families and friends.  I love you all.  Where would we be without you?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Munich and Romania

This is the first of a multi-part series based on my observations from a recent Eastern European trip my wife and I took. In each I will sh...